UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Corona Graminea

How many of the winners of the Grass Crown are known to us and if you know, who were they, and can you tell me? I know that Q.Sertorius was awarded one as was L.Cornelius Sulla at Nola, but I'm very interested to learn about as many of the other 'winners' throughout the history of Rome.

Did this award evolve into the custom of armies pronouncing their generals Emperor?

"L. Siccius Dentatus was presented with this crown but once, though he gained as many as fourteen civic crowns, and fought one hundred and twenty battles, in all of which he was victorious--so rarely is it that an army has to thank a single individual only for its preservation! Some generals, however, have been presented with more than one of these crowns, P. Decius Mus, the military tribune, for example, who received one from his own army, and another from the troops which he had rescued when surrounded. He testified by an act of devoutness in what high esteem he held such an honour as this, for, adorned with these insignia, he sacrificed a white ox to Mars, together with one hundred red oxen, which had been presented to him by the beleaguered troops as the recompense of his valour: it was this same Decius, who afterwards, when consul, with Imperiosus for his colleague, devoted his life to secure victory to his fellow-citizens.

This crown was presented also by the senate and people of Rome a distinction than which I know of nothing in existence more glorious--to that same Fabius who restored the fortunes of Rome by avoiding a battle; not, however, on the occasion when he preserved the master of the horse6 and his army; for then it was deemed preferable by those who were indebted to him for their preservation to present him with a crown under a new title, that of "father." The crown of grass was, however, awarded to him, with that unanimity which I have mentioned, after Hannibal had been expelled from Italy; being the only crown, in fact, that has hitherto been placed upon the head of a citizen by the hands of the state itself, and, another remarkable distinction, the only one that has ever been conferred by the whole of Italy united.

In addition to the persons already mentioned, the honour of this crown has been awarded to M. Calpurnius Flamma, then a military tribune in Sicily; but up to the present time it has been given to a single centurion only, Cneius Petreius Atinas, during the war with the Cimbri. This soldier, while acting as primipilus under Catulus, on finding all retreat for his legion cut off by the enemy, harangued the troops, and after slaying his tribune who hesitated to cut a way through the encampment of the enemy, brought away the legion in safety. I find it stated also by some authors, that, in addition to this honour, this same Petreius, clad in the pr