UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Entire Iron Age Village Discovered

Viggen

Archaeologists yesterday announced the discovery of an entire Iron Age village on an until-now unexamined site on the west bank of Loch Lomond.

A team from the West of Scotland Archaeology Service and a research unit at Glasgow University have spent months digging and sifting through soil at the site, which is being cleared for a golf course and leisure development. Among their finds is a pre-Christian Iron Age glass bead described as "a national treasure".

full article at The Scotsman

• 9 months later...

Best place for a site like this is under a golf course, so long as they don't do to many modifications to the soil. The golf course should benefit from this as well given the history would add to their prestige. It reminds me of Ft. Holiday from where I used to live, it's underneath a baseball field right now, and a old Mingo Indian village that George Washington discovered is under the football field.... sure a golf course is a lot more spacious and thus more conductive for a longterm excavation providing they keep it small in area than a football or baseball field, but even they at least gives the archeologist time to prepare for the off season, or if not allowed, when they close the field. I supose a strategem could be taken from this example.