UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Washington, D.C. visitor tips?

Nephele

I've decided to celebrate this coming 4th of July weekend in our nation's capital. I'll be taking Amtrak from NYC and I've already reserved a room in a hotel that's only a couple of blocks from a Metro station. So, anywhere the subways go, I'll be going.

Can anybody here suggest "must see" things/events? The Smithsonian Museum and Library of Congress are already high up on my list, but any suggestions, tips, etc. from anyone here who's been to Washington, D.C. will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-- Nephele

Can anybody here suggest "must see" things/events? The Smithsonian Museum and Library of Congress are already high up on my list, but any suggestions, tips, etc. from anyone here who's been to Washington, D.C. will be gratefully appreciated.

The Portrait Gallery and National Gallery of Art were my favorite places to take visitors when I lived in DC. How long will you be staying?

I've decided to celebrate this coming 4th of July weekend in our nation's capital. I'll be taking Amtrak from NYC and I've already reserved a room in a hotel that's only a couple of blocks from a Metro station. So, anywhere the subways go, I'll be going.

Thanks in advance!

-- Nephele

If your hotel will be close to the Train station, it is less than two miles from the Washington Monument, and of course you will want to take a walk all around that. Just south of the Washington Monument (less than 1000 feet) is the Tidal Basin, and assuming you won't be there all alone, you can rent a paddle boat there; the kind you sit and pump with "pedals". Didn't you always want to do that? The whole Tidal "basin" size is about only about 100 acres, which is really pretty small, especially because of the coves and projections into it. It's 500 by 600 yards. If you were to do that you could get within just 250 feet of the Jefferson Memorial, without stepping onto the south shore. If you don't have a partner to "pedal" a boat with, and you aren't too rushed you might just want to sit on the shore and watch others doing that.

Also, from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial is just a mile and a quarter due west; an easy walk along the reflecting pool. On the south side of the pool is the Korean War Memorial and the DC War Memorial. On the north side is the new WWII Memorial and the Vietnam War Memorial. I would recommend seeing those, but for sure the Korean and WWII Memorials.

Every Friday evening ( and the 4th is on a Friday), The US Marine Corps Band (The Presidents Own) does an Evening Parade at the Marine Barracks at 8th and Eye (I) which is Headquarters Marine Corps. I checked on that and it is booked throught 2008 for guests. If you wre still around there is an Evening Parade each Tuesday Evening or Sunset Parades are held at the Marine Corps War Memorial, Arlington VA. ( Sunset Parades will be conducted every Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. beginning the first Tuesday in June, and continuing through the second Tuesday in August. ) Take a lawn chair, blanket, or beach towel and a bag of "chips".

There will be a 4th of july fireworks display on the National Mall which probably is one of the best in the U.S.

Ford's Theater is between 9th and 10th between F and G.

There used to be some good "Bars" and restaurants.on 15th or 16th just North of the White House, if I remember right. When stationed on the East coast in 60-64, I used to blow into town and stay at the YMCA or the S.S.A.M.'s Club, for 75-cents a night. My bride and I drove the Blue Ridge Parkway down to NC Outer Banks (Virginia Dare), Kitty Hawk and Nag's Head, N.C. and Washington, D.C. for our "Honeymoon" in '65.

Thanks, MPC and Faustus!

The Portrait Gallery and National Gallery of Art were my favorite places to take visitors when I lived in DC. How long will you be staying?

I'm arriving the morning of Thursday, July 3rd, and leaving Sunday night, July 6th. So, MPC, you lived in DC? I checked out the Washington Metro Transit Authority's homepage to try to figure out what might be their equivalent of a NYC Metro card. Any suggestions?

I've also got a subway map, and it looks like I'll have pretty easy access from my hotel to the orange and blue lines through the Federal Center station, and the blue, yellow, orange and green lines through L'Enfant Plaza station.

If your hotel will be close to the Train station, it is less than two miles from the Washington Monument, and of course you will want to take a walk all around that. Just south of the Washington Monument (less than 1000 feet) is the Tidal Basin, and assuming you won't be there all alone, you can rent a paddle boat there; the kind you sit and pump with "pedals". Didn't you always want to do that? The whole Tidal "basin" size is about only about 100 acres, which is really pretty small, especially because of the coves and projections into it. It's 500 by 600 yards. If you were to do that you could get within just 250 feet of the Jefferson Memorial, without stepping onto the south shore. If you don't have a partner to "pedal" a boat with, and you aren't too rushed you might just want to sit on the shore and watch others doing that.

The paddle boat sounds like fun, Faustus! I'll have a partner to pedal with. Speaking of fun on the water, I noticed that there are some rather pricey 4th of July fireworks cruises you can book, with "dinner and entertainment". Is that the best way to see the fireworks -- or would reserving a table at a rooftop restaurant be a better choice? I'm kind of more inclined towards a quiet meal at a rooftop restaurant, than a noisy party boat (or braving the crowds on the Mall), but I've no idea which restaurants might be good choices for both a lovely meal and a lovely view of the fireworks. Any suggestions? Anyone?

Ford's Theater is between 9th and 10th between F and G.

I think I may be walking distance to that? My hotel is on E, between 3rd and 4th.

There used to be some good "Bars" and restaurants.on 15th or 16th just North of the White House, if I remember right. When stationed on the East coast in 60-64, I used to blow into town and stay at the YMCA or the S.S.A.M.'s Club, for 75-cents a night. My bride and I drove the Blue Ridge Parkway down to NC Outer Banks (Virginia Dare), Kitty Hawk and Nag's Head, N.C. and Washington, D.C. for our "Honeymoon" in '65.

75 cents a night is a pretty sweet deal -- but I've got you beat, haha! I'm staying for free at a Marriott, thanks to my Visa Card credits. Gotta love those Marriott hotels -- finding a Book of Mormon alongside the usual Bible in my room always cracks me up.

-- Nephele

rather pricey 4th of July fireworks cruises you can book, with "dinner and entertainment". Is that the best way to see the fireworks -- or would reserving a table at a rooftop restaurant be a better choice? I'm kind of more inclined towards a quiet meal at a rooftop restaurant, than a noisy party boat (or braving the crowds on the Mall), but I've no idea which restaurants might be good choices for both a lovely meal and a lovely view of the fireworks. Any suggestions? Anyone?

If you are out walking past the White House, a block North is Lafayette Park, and If you were to find a sidewalk caf

Edited by Faustus

The Metro is cheap, clean, and convenient, but it fails to deliver you to the best neighborhood in DC--Georgetown. Except for Kinkead's in Foggy Bottom, the best restaurants (even on a budget) are in Georgetown. Take the Orange or Blue line to Foggy Bottom, walk to Georgetown along M street, and find anything with "Cafe" or "Bistro" in it and look at the menu (my faves as a college student: Cafe Larouche, Bistro Francais, and Pied du Cochon). If you love French Provencal, Georgetown is great--your Marriott (the JW?) has a mediocre restaurant. Georgetown also has nearly the only decent bookstores in the city (even if you've been spoiled by the Strand, Logic & Literature used to have a terrific collection of classics). Dumburton Oaks in Georgetown also has one of the finest collections of Byzantine art in the Western Hemisphere.

BTW, don't pass up the chance to visit Georgetown for the fireworks display. All cities have fireworks. There is only one Georgetown--and it's the Palatine of our nation's capital.

If you are out walking past the White House, a block North is Lafayette Park, and If you were to find a sidewalk caf

I visited Washington about 7 yrs ago and I've got to agree with MPC about Georgetown, it really is a fantastic little place, it was one of the highlights of our trip.

The Smithsonian, Lincoln Memorial, White House are all musts and if you find time, you should take a visit to Arlington Cemetery, it's a very interesting and humbling place, the changing of the guard ceremony is a very impressive sight.

I visited Washington about 7 yrs ago and I've got to agree with MPC about Georgetown, it really is a fantastic little place, it was one of the highlights of our trip.

What brought you to DC, GPM? Had you been to the US before? Anyway, I hope I can set aside enough time to tour Georgetown. I'm thinking that at least one full day will be taken up with the Smithsonian, and I was also hoping to get out to the National Zoo. I hear they have red wolves there, and they're extremely rare -- with only about 300 still in existence. I think the National Zoo also has the rare clouded leopards, which I've read are the closest living relative to the prehistoric saber-tooth cat, because of the length of their incisors. I've never seen a clouded leopard, so I've got to check this out.

The Smithsonian and the National Art Gallery were my favorites, but they have already been suggested. Have a great trip!

Those are definitely on my "must see" list! Thanks, Ursus!

-- Nephele

What brought you to DC, GPM? Had you been to the US before?

I was in Toronto for 3 weeks visiting relatives, I'd always wanted to see Washington so my uncle suggested that we throw some stuff in a bag, jump in the car and do it, so we did! It took us about 10 hrs to get down to Washington, we went across the border at Buffalo and then down through Pennsylvania. We spent three days there and saw as much as possible.

It really hit home just how big the U.S. is and how small the UK is, in 10 hrs I could probably drive from one end of Britain to the other, but in America it took us 10 hrs just to cross one bloody State!!

Later on in our holiday we also flew to New York for the week end and what a city it is that you live in Neph, I don't think I've ever walked so much in my life, or spent so much, that Macy's has a lot to answer for!!!

Later on in our holiday we also flew to New York for the week end and what a city it is that you live in Neph, I don't think I've ever walked so much in my life, or spent so much, that Macy's has a lot to answer for!!!

;) That's for sure! (But I think the Washington Monument has a lot to answer for -- see blog link below.)

Thanks, everyone, for all the useful D.C. tips! So as not to take up more time on the board with my personal stuff, I've continued this in my blog:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...;showentry=1231

Any additional suggestions and tips offered there will be most gratefully appreciated!

-- Nephele