UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

United States and Roman Government

This makes me wonder: why the hell does this site have John McCain ads? Come on, another white emperor, one who will just continue the legacy of a few rich snobs who only care about their own wealth, and the wealth of the people that bribe them? Can't we learn from the Romans, that having a bunch of rich people ruling an empire can only make the rich richer and the poor poorer? And what of freedom? Yes, we Americans are the free-est in the world to pay taxes and watch our freedoms meet their demise.

Antiochus III

While it's fine (I suppose) to approach modern politics from a post-Marxist perspective, let's not be so hasty to project said perspective back on the ancient world. In Antiquity the wealthier sorts underpinned the governmental elite because they were often expected to contribute to the state out of their own pocket. In citizen militias, the wealthy could afford the best armor and maybe a horse; In times of peace, the wealthy financed cultural pursuits and infrastructure. This was well within the Greco-Roman cultural values of seeking honor through service to the state, and the wealthy were naturally better poised to contribute resources. Despite occasional struggles between different social orders, it seems to have been a system that most internalized.

As to the rest of this thread which is edging into hyperbole on modern politics, I am sending it to the Baths.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't we learn from the Romans...?

Antiochus III

As to the rest of this thread which is edging into hyperbole on modern politics, I am sending it to the Baths.

Who can resist it?

Here comes Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, Lectures on the Philosophy of History (1832), Introduction:

"What experience and history teach is this

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

[quote name='Julia C

Who can resist it?

No need to overly belabor your point, ASCLEPIADES. Tirades on George Bush and modern American politics have happened dozens of time before and will happen dozens of times again. And that is permissable within certain boundaries, as long as it doesn't occur on forums actually dedicated to Roman history, the stated goal of this site. Thus the thread gets moved here to the baths, where it will either be forgotten in a week, or else explode and be consigned to the Arena.

Cheers.