UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Spartacus goes Xena?

Lanista

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...7a72d166f462dea

Not sure if this is good or bad...they say:

"This is not going to be at all like the 1960s Kirk Douglas film," Shelanski said. "We didn't want your typical sword-and-sandals. It's going to be fun, fast-moving, full of action and interesting characters and have a little more depth to it than the 1960s film."

Shelanski added that the show will be produced specifically for a premium cable audience, with "R-rated" action and storytelling. The goal is to accomplish the graphic-novel look and feel of such movies as "300" and "Sin City." As with "300," producers also will be looking to cast "Spartacus" with a group of fresh-faced, unknown actors."

Fun and fast moving smacks of Xena, and whilst that was a great, entertaining show, I'm not sure Spartacus is the sort of story that would support that approach. On the other hand, they're saying it's "R-Rated" - so does that mean Xena with tits and extra blood or does that promise a more adult storyline.

I guess the production stills and leaked set info will tell us more, nearer the time.

Cheers

Russ

Edited by Lanista

I'll try to keep an open mind on this one, but I suspect that my realism sensibilities will overwhelm me. I do suppose it's good though that ancient history continues to receive attention from film/tv producers. Accurate or complete fabrication at least these productions are providing an introduction to those who may otherwise have no interest.

I'll try to keep an open mind on this one, but I suspect that my realism sensibilities will overwhelm me. I do suppose it's good though that ancient history continues to receive attention from film/tv producers. Accurate or complete fabrication at least these productions are providing an introduction to those who may otherwise have no interest.

This is true, and I always try to remain upbeat about this sort of things, but I have to say that this one isn't filling me with confidence!

Cheers

Russ

Salve, L

"This is not going to be at all like the 1960s Kirk Douglas film," Shelanski said. "We didn't want your typical sword-and-sandals. It's going to be fun, fast-moving, full of action and interesting characters and have a little more depth to it than the 1960s film."

Translation: Mr Shelanski doesn't know what the heck is he talking about...

The titanic 1960s film was one of the highest points of the sword-and-sandals genre, even if quite atypical; by Hollywood standards, it was pretty realistic.

Even if the leftist social vision of Kubrick was not supported by classical sources, it was not specifically denied either.

Even if a great deal of the action was fictitious, most of its characters had a larger than expected share from their real-life counterparts.

On the other hand, we already know what kind of classical realism we can expect from the Xena-like sagas: "Julius Caesar" actually appeared as an ex-lover of the Warrior Princess.

That character (and his background) shared little more in common than the name with any historical interpretation of the Roman Dictator that I'm aware of.

1979 Caligula pretended to please *or* and history fans at the same time; it was mostly rejected by both.

IMHO, a Xena-like Spartacus would be too historically boring for Xenaverse fans and simply undigestible for Romanophiles.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

Kubrick merely directed the film. The project belonged to Kirk Douglas and he based it on Howard Fast's novel, which presented Spartacus as the freedom fighter struggling to change the world for a better place. This was a modern perspective of course. The real Spartacus had much less generous aims than that.

This new project? I can see it now. American style quips and gags, lots of fast paced fencing, a sassy love interest who turns out to be as good a fighter as Spartacus (quite by chance of course, but she's a film heroine) and plenty of happy-go-lucky male bonding.

Ugh. Too indigestible. And I haven't even seen the trailer yet.

I suppose anything that brings Roman history into the spotlight has to be a good thing right???

It may not be the kind of thing that us die hard Roman lovers would happily sit down and watch without immediately ripping it's inaccuracies to shreds, but if it get's the younger generation interested enough to want to learn a bit about more about the amazing race of people that we read and learn about daily then surely it's has got to be a good thing.

I'll give it a go anyway! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...