UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Burn Romans Burn!!!!

Roman soldiers defending a Middle Eastern garrison from attack nearly 2,000 years ago met the horrors of war in a most unusual place. Inside a cramped tunnel beneath the site's massive front wall, enemy fighters stacked up nearly two dozen dead or dying Romans and set them on fire, using substances that gave off toxic fumes and drove away Roman warriors just outside the tunnel. The attackers, members of Persia's Sasanian culture that held sway over much of the region in and around the Middle East from the third to the seventh centuries, adopted a brutally ingenious method for penetrating the garrison wall..............

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id..._comes_to_light

"In my view, this is the earliest archaeological evidence for the use of chemical warfare..."

Sneaky, dastardly Persian swine with their murderous, devilish, cheating ways!

"The first use of an incendiary chemical substance at sea by the Byzantines dates from the suppression of a revolt against the Emperor Anastasius I in AD 513." (Wiki)

Brave boys, splendid fellows doing their bit to protect the Empire!

Am I sensing a bit of bias there Neil???

Am I sensing a bit of bias there Neil???

Absolutely! Seriously though, I suspect that in the confines of a tunnel, the ignition of the pitch and sulphur must have had an almost explosive effect, rapidly clearing the tunnel of defenders.

well you know I doubt very much the claims that this was one of the earliest use of chemical warfare in history. I'm not a great fan of Iran but the articles seems to me to be a "look at the bad iranian who are the first to use chemical weapons" when the chapter 35 and 37 of Aeneas the tactician show it was a method already in use in the 4th century B.C. Of cours Aeneas does not recommand the use of bodies to fuel the fire, but he talks of pitch and sulfur to maintain a burning fire ( and his recipe is even more potent by the way ).

Yet despite my view on the "show" part of the announcement I must confess the information is interesting.

well you know I doubt very much the claims that this was one of the earliest use of chemical warfare in history. I'm not a great fan of Iran but the articles seems to me to be a "look at the bad iranian who are the first to use chemical weapons" when the chapter 35 and 37 of Aeneas the tactician show it was a method already in use in the 4th century B.C. Of cours Aeneas does not recommand the use of bodies to fuel the fire, but he talks of pitch and sulfur to maintain a burning fire ( and his recipe is even more potent by the way ).

Yet despite my view on the "show" part of the announcement I must confess the information is interesting.

The Aeneas is a fictional story, I very much doubt if Vergilius knew much about the weaponry of the 4th century BC.