UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Working on Hadrian's Wall

Today I've been working right next to section of Hadrian's Wall, it was in a little town in Newcastle called Denton Burn. While I was working away I noticed a small fenced of area containing a small section of what I suspected was a part of the Northern Wall, Tools down!!! Instant inspection required!!!

My suspicions were right, it was indeed part of the wall, I've been up to the wall many times before but it was strange to see it in a built up area and not out in the wilderness of Northumberland. It was only a very small section but even so it was still a Roman monument and got the respect it deserved.

denton_burn_i.jpg

Wow - it is great to see a piece of the Wall in the midst of the conurb. of Newcastle - I had assumed that most of the stuff in the city had been overbuilt or fully demolished! I find it strange indeed that the eastern end of the wall - Arbeiia, Segedunum and fragments like this are visible, yet the western end, far less built up and developed, has little more than a dim suggestion of the vallum, and perhaps the vague outline of the platform of Stanwix fort.

Wow - it is great to see a piece of the Wall in the midst of the conurb. of Newcastle - I had assumed that most of the stuff in the city had been overbuilt or fully demolished! I find it strange indeed that the eastern end of the wall - Arbeiia, Segedunum and fragments like this are visible, yet the western end, far less built up and developed, has little more than a dim suggestion of the vallum, and perhaps the vague outline of the platform of Stanwix fort.

Yes I'd also assumed that there wouldn't be any surviving remnants of the wall in the heart of Newcastle especially in such built up area's but it appears that there's a few more sections that crop up around the Denton area even the remains of a turret.

http://www.roman-britain.org/frontiers/hw_guide.htm

I'm back up there again tomorrow so I think I'll nip off in my lunch break and go check out the other local sites.

Today I've been working right next to section of Hadrian's Wall...

How exciting! That's what makes us Yanks so envious of you Brits/Europeans!

-- Nephele