UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

blogging Pompeii

Maty

Some of my colleagues are currently working in Italy at Rome and Pompeii. If you are interested in getting news of events there as they happen this might be interesting

http://bloggingpompeii.blogspot.com/

Some of the posts are in Italian, but as Pompeii is in Italy and some of the archaeologists are Italian - dovremmo aspettarla!

That's pretty interesting. I'm sure they have their hands full for a hundred years already, but wanted to suggest some sites for future searching. I'm thinking of Italian military zones. They may be strategic now for the same reasons as for the Romans, but would I be right to guess many are currently falling into disuse? Also some may be relatively undeveloped/undisturbed compared to privately held land.

For example there is a large forested conical hill in SE Capri that is fenced off for the military (maybe radar or transmitters?). I don't know the name, but its directly in from the Faraglioni rocks where boats zoom thru a natural arch. It just feels like a site for one of the supposed 6 imperial villas on Capri, being a prominent spot between the Villa Jovis and the other one now supposedly replaced by the current Certosa. You can circle it on one of the most beautiful walking trails on earth, branching off Via Tragera.

The Romans were especially fond of this area of Capri: in ancient times scattered with splendid villas and shady ninfei
Via Tragara, a road which dates back to Roman times.

Also it looks possibly free of historical dwellings.... the Swedish doctor Axel Munthe reported in his 1880's book "The History of San Michele" that Capri residents working on their home foundations would find and systematically destroy many Roman artifacts (erotic mosaics, etc) due to the bad reputation of Tiberious with respect to Christianity. Well, if not there maybe other coastal military sites...