UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Could Somebody Help Me Out?

Im a sophomore in high school and Im taking a class on the history of Rome from its founding up until the end of the punic wars. Were mainly using Livy's books and its fairly interesting so far (but tough to remember all of the names :D ) Now I am supposed to write a paper (5-9 pages) on the organization of the early Roman military. Im kind of stumped here, there arent many sources out there that deal with the Roman army pre 350 B.C. (the time period I am looking for). If anybody here is an expert on that subject, or if you know of some good sources I could look at, then could you lend me a hand and tell me where to read about it? The rough draft of the paper is due december 9th, so any point in the right direction you could give me would be very, helpful (Im not asking anybody to help me cheat, just to point me towards any good books about the subject, or to tell me what you know about it). Anyway, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

-Lkysam

A good source to look at would be a book by TJ Cornell called the Beginnings of Rome in which he descibes the beginnings of the rome, including their military. Also try a google search and look up roman military organization and you should get some good sources. Also try the pages on this site which give a good description of rome.