UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pompeii skeletons reveal secrets of Roman family life

Melvadius

The BBC are carrying a nice article and associated videos on some of the secrets being revealed by recent research into skeletons actually found at Oplontis rather than Pompeii. I believe the associated video's come from the new BBC Two series on Pompeii which starts tonight (14 December '10).

The remains of the Roman town of Pompeii destroyed by a volcanic eruption in AD79 continue to provide intriguing and unexpected insights into Roman life - from diet and health care to the gap between rich and poor.

The basement storeroom under a large agricultural depot in the little suburb of Oplontis was full of pomegranates. To many of the Pompeiians trying to find shelter from the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, it must have seemed strong and safe.

About 50 people took cover there. We know they did because archaeologists in the 1980s found their skeletons, well preserved.

They were overwhelmed by the volcanic debris and burning gases in the very place where they hoped they would be saved.

We know how these poor people died and we know what killed them. But these skeletons can also tell us fascinating things about how the people in Pompeii actually lived.

There are some very simple surprises.

....continued

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting. I hope it comes to USA or at least as a download later. What a thrill to hold that jewelry, the mind just boggles imagining who the person(s) was that wore it.

I do not know if you can access this from elsewhere but the full programme is currently available on BBC i-player until 9:59PM Tue, 21 Dec 2010 (I presume GMT but it doesn't explicity state this).

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting. I hope it comes to USA or at least as a download later. What a thrill to hold that jewelry, the mind just boggles imagining who the person(s) was that wore it.

I do not know if you can access this from elsewhere but the full programme is currently available on BBC i-player until 9:59PM Tue, 21 Dec 2010 (I presume GMT but it doesn't explicity state this).

This is the same documentary that I watched Monday night as part of the "When Rome Ruled" series on National Geo. I enjoyed it very much.

Yes, Viggen. Wasn't that interesting? What surprised me was that all these years I've been told and read that ancient Romans exposed deformed or sickly children. The story of the twins is contrary to that idea, at least in this case. Someone actually cared for them for 11 or 12 yrs., and as the narrator mentioned it would have not been an easy thing to do. As any caregiver knows.

If anyone misses it on iPlayer, don't worry - I've got it safely recorded away. Just let me know if you'd like a copy.

Edited by GhostOfClayton