UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Primus Pilus

"The Hellenistic World" and "From Alexander to Cleopatr

"The survey begins with a discussion of the nature of the sources used in Hellenistic studies. Primary and secondary sources exist, especially for the life of Alexander, but sometimes there is a question of their objectivity and accuracy. The literary word must be checked against other sources. These material sources include inscriptions on stone and marble, papyri and coins. The sources are uneven, and new discoveries help rewrite the history of the era. Students of Ptolemaic Egypt are however relatively blessed given the surviving amount of papyri from that era and area."...

The Hellenistic World by F.W. Walbank

and...

"Michael Grant, one of the seminal giants of classical studies, provides a thorough examination of the Hellenistic world in From Alexander to Cleopatra. While 25 years old since its original printing, the tome still serves as a comprehensive and readable survey. It is similar to Walbank

Very nice reviews.

There is a "G" mising on the last line of Grant's review.

I think it's good to have some book reviews about hellenism here.

I think it's good to have some book reviews about hellenism here.

Glad you liked it. Adding a few Hellenic touches is one of my long term goals.

Great reviews, Ursus. There is, however, one other book worth mentioning in regards to the Hellenistic World - namely Peter Green's Alexander to Actium. It is interesting in that Green is not afraid to adopt a critical approach towards the notion of Hellenism as a beacon of culture. He argues that although certain aspects of the arts flourished under the various Hellenistic kings, they were only the few that benefited from royal patronage; those that did not, fell short and dissipated.

If all goes well this Christmas, I will stop having to rely on my copy from the library. If so, the book may be worth reviewing...

Edited by WotWotius

Sounds intriguing. I would be very interested in reading a review of this book, and possibly the book itself.

Edit: $55? I think I'll skip buying the book.

Great reviews, Ursus. There is, however, one other book worth mentioning in regards to the Hellenistic World - namely Peter Green's Alexander to Actium. It is interesting in that Green is not afraid to adopt a critical approach towards the notion of Hellenism as a beacon of culture. He argues that although certain aspects of the arts flourished under the various Hellenistic kings, they were only the few that benefited from royal patronage; those that did not, fell short and dissipated.

If all goes well this Christmas, I will stop having to rely on my copy from the library. If so, the book may be worth reviewing...

Sign in to follow this  

• Map of the Roman Empire