UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Nefertiti got extreme makeover??

Well, you couldn't have plastic surgery in ancient Egypt but you could at least have your own bust "improved" for posterity. :thumbsup:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/artic...ZRMbIOq_exLNnaA

reportedly said they are willing to consider whether the statue could be returned to Cairo temporarily for display and the study's findings could help determine whether it could safely make the trip.

Beware of such high minded, well meaning gestures in today's cutthroat, activist world. I know of one recent lending to an aggrieved would-be-owner group which turned out to be permanent. They claimed they reburied it where it was originally found, but there was evidence they sold it (I think they keep it on private display). Rush to appeasement can lead to cultural loss by both sides.

This sounds like bollocks frankly. If they wanted to improve here face I'm sure they would have done than through the sculpture,. not some sort of special cosmetics.

Edited by Klingan

This sounds like bollocks frankly. If they wanted to improve here face I'm sure they would have done than through the sculpture,. not some sort of special cosmetics.

So what in your opinion is the meaning of a second (and older looking) face hidden within the bust?

So what in your opinion is the meaning of a second (and older looking) face hidden within the bust?

Possibly an older depiction remade? Or even another person who's face was changed into Nefertitits'. Egyptian sculptors were surely skilled enough to provide a piece without any need for improvements.

This is assuming that the CT scan is correct to begin with, tech boys and their toys have made mistakes before.

Possibly an older depiction remade? Or even another person who's face was changed into Nefertitits'. Egyptian sculptors were surely skilled enough to provide a piece without any need for improvements.

This is assuming that the CT scan is correct to begin with, tech boys and their toys have made mistakes before.

Hmmm, maybe. I guess we'll never know.