UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
catherineofcarrick

Roman News Readers

Please can you tell me what the official name was for Roman news readers i.e. those who read the news/announcements in the forum. I watched the HBO series Rome and would love to know what the formal title is for Ian McNiece's character.

I appreciate anyone's help on this.

With thanks,

Catherine.

The praecones (singular, praeco) were the public heralds, or town criers, who made various public announcements, including news announcements, legal announcements, auction announcements, festival and games announcements, etc.

Although the praecones weren't held in the same high esteem as orators, they nevertheless used orators' hand gestures for added effect in their public announcements (as depicted in HBO's Rome).

"Praeco," is also a Roman cognomen.

-- Nephele

Were there any famous or well known praecones?

I don't know of any that were mentioned specifically by name, but the emperor Tiberius had a praeco in his employment, according to Suetonius.

Sensim itaque regressus domum repente cum apparitoribus prodiit citatumque pro tribunali uoce praeconis conuiciatorem rapi iussit in carcerem.

Translated here: "Thereupon he gradually backed away to his house, and then suddenly coming out with his lictors and attendants, and bidding his crier to summon the foul-mouthed fellow before his tribunal, he had him taken off to prison." (11.3)

-- Nephele

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Were there any famous or well known praecones?

Thanks.

Catherine

Cicero made fun of a senator who was reading letters in the Senate with a beautiful voice saying that he used to be a public news reader. The name of the senator was Marcus Gallius.