UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Alaric King of the Visigoths!

I was wondering if any of you good historians may enlighten me with some information on Alaric the 1st, King of the Visigoths. The main man responsible for the famous " sacking of Rome"(although there were many reasons for the downfall of Rome)

I have read everything on his Wiki page, but i was wondering if any of you knew anything else about this particular person.

I appreciate the help,

Maximus.

I was wondering if any of you good historians may enlighten me with some information on Alaric the 1st, King of the Visigoths. The main man responsible for the famous " sacking of Rome"(although there were many reasons for the downfall of Rome)

I have read everything on his Wiki page, but i was wondering if any of you knew anything else about this particular person.

I appreciate the help,

Maximus.

How desperate are you for information? I've just finished the text of my new book, this one being on Stilicho, and there is a lot of information (and opinion!) on Alaric in it. It's due to the publisher this month and will be out at some time next year.

Obviously, I don't want to publish the book in 'serial' form on UNRV as this will annoy the publisher (:lol:) but, if you can't wait, are there any specific questions?

Edited by sonic

Well, the truth is I am writing a fiction novel, as my main characters are a work of fiction.

There is a part in the book involving the famous "Sacking of Rome", and I would like to make Alaric as real as possible. So I am looking for as much information on him and even his brother in law, Ataulf(Who later becomes king of the Visigoths, after Alarics death).

Well, the truth is I am writing a fiction novel, as my main characters are a work of fiction.

There is a part in the book involving the famous "Sacking of Rome", and I would like to make Alaric as real as possible. So I am looking for as much information on him and even his brother in law, Ataulf(Who later becomes king of the Visigoths, after Alarics death).

Alaric was most likely reluctant to sack Rome. It was only when he came to the city in 410, after two previous 'sieges' (408 and 409), thta the Goths finally plundered the city. Even then, the plundering was almost polite, with many areas not being touched, especially church buildings.

The obvious conclusion is that Alaric only sacked Rome in frustration at the incomprehensible policies of Honorius, safe behind the marshes in Ravenna, who did not seem to care what happened even in the rest of Italy, not just the rest of the West.

Hey

I appreciate the info. I just want to get Alaric's personality right in my book. There is tons of information on the prominent roman figures at that time, but not much on the Visigoth leaders.

Do you know what your book is going to be called, cause I will for sure purchase it in a year when it comes out.

Thanks again,

Maximus.

How desperate are you for information? I've just finished the text of my new book, this one being on Stilicho, and there is a lot of information (and opinion!) on Alaric in it. It's due to the publisher this month and will be out at some time next year.

Obviously, I don't want to publish the book in 'serial' form on UNRV as this will annoy the publisher ( :lol: ) but, if you can't wait, are there any specific questions?

Hey Sonic,

I remember a while back before the Belisarius book was released, you asked people on the forum which figure they would most like to read about and I believe that Stilicho was quite a popular choice.

Glad to hear you're open to the suggestions of your fellow members. Will we get a mention in the credits for inspiring you to write about Stilicho?????? :P

A good choice anyway mate, I look forward to reading it!

Obviously, I don't want to publish the book in 'serial' form on UNRV as this will annoy the publisher ( :lol: ) but, if you can't wait, are there any specific questions?

Hey Sonic,

I remember a while back before the Belisarius book was released, you asked people on the forum which figure they would most like to read about and I believe that Stilicho was quite a popular choice.

Glad to hear you're open to the suggestions of your fellow members. Will we get a mention in the credits for inspiring you to write about Stilicho?????? :P

A good choice anyway mate, I look forward to reading it!

Of course I'm open to suggestions!

I suppose I should give credit where it's due - especially with regards to information etc. So, yes - the forum will get a mention!!

I know which book I'm doing next, although I'm not allowed to say who by the publisher in case somebody nicks the idea - but I'm struggling for the book after that, so maybe I should ask for other ideas ... ?

Do you know what your book is going to be called, cause I will for sure purchase it in a year when it comes out.

It will be called 'Stilicho: the Vandal who saved Rome'. I hope you find it useful!

Edited by sonic

I've just finished the text of my new book, this one being on Stilicho,..
Will we get a mention in the credits for inspiring you to write about Stilicho?????? :lol:

I suppose I should give credit where it's due - especially with regards to information etc. So, yes - the forum will get a mention!!

Based on the original thread What biographies would you like to read? from a year ago (post # 15) the inspiration seems to have come from UNRV member Decimus Caesar, seconded by GPM (post #18).

Congratulations for your new book and the topic choice, Sonic.

It will be called 'Stilicho: the Vandal who saved Rome'.
A rather controversial title, from the "Vandal" to the "saved".

Even if Stilicho is thoroughly studied in multiple books on the Fall of the Western Empire, Amazon.com currently mentions just one modern biography (Stilicho by Tido Jan

Edited by sylla

• 4 months later...

You might want to look into the religious controversy of the time. The Goths were Christians, but of the Arrian heresy, which was not considered mainstream.

• 4 weeks later...

He was fed up with racism.

I appreciate the help,

Maximus.

• 4 months later...
It will be called 'Stilicho: the Vandal who saved Rome'. I hope you find it useful!

That title doesn't make a whole lot of sense, considering that calling Stilicho a Vandal would be like calling Obama a Kenyan. They both had parents who were those but that doesn't make them such.

That title doesn't make a whole lot of sense, considering that calling Stilicho a Vandal would be like calling Obama a Kenyan. They both had parents who were those but that doesn't make them such.

To the vast majority of people - and especially those reading books on the Late Empire written between c,1960 and 1990/2000 - Stilicho is still seen as a Vandal, a German who was more interested in working with his fellow German Alaric than in saving the West. The actual text follows the more 'modern' line that Stilicho, despite having a Vandal for a father, was actually Roman.

Unfortunately, the title makes perfect sense.

Even today, there are those who doubt Obama's citizenship and legitimacy as a president.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_...piracy_theories

There must have been even more of a tendency in Ancient Rome to see others as "outsiders" based on their social background or ethnic origen.

guy also known as gaius

Unfortunately, the title makes perfect sense.

Even today, there are those who doubt Obama's citizenship and legitimacy as a president.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_...piracy_theories

There must have been even more of a tendency in Ancient Rome to see others as "outsiders" based on their social background or ethnic origen.

guy also known as gaius

That's an interesting perspective, I actually didn't think of the similarities of the crazies calling Obama a foreigner, Muslim, or terrorist and how many Romans viewed Stilicho as a Vandal barbarian.