UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Dorset Ridgeway Killing Fields

It was a scene familiar from the killing fields of Iraq or the Balkans, but unheard of in rural Dorset. As the earth-moving machine peeled back a thin layer of topsoil, it exposed a tangled mass of human bones.Fifty-one young men had been decapitated with swords or axes before their bodies were tossed into a pit. The heads were neatly stacked to one side.

Radio-carbon dating suggests that they were killed between 890 and 1034, when the South of England was pillaged by Viking raiders from Scandinavia. A month after the discovery archaeologists are beginning to piece the story together..........

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/s...icle6718631.ece

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...cution-pit.html

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=392948

Killing fields? Not quite on that scale. More like a summary execution of a local warrior band. That sort of thing has always occured in warfare.

Killing fields? Not quite on that scale. More like a summary execution of a local warrior band. That sort of thing has always occured in warfare.

There is always a lot of speculation about finds like this - note the sudden change from possible Iron Age/ Roman period remains to Saxon/ Viking period.

The speculation on who precisely were killed and then buried in this way is still running way ahead of full scientific analysis e.g. the fact that there have been no 'material' remains found with the bodies may (as the articles indicate) be a sign that they were naked when killed. However it equally likely could indicate that the victims were wearing clothing made from natural material such as wool (or just possibly linen) which has since rotted away.

It will be interesting to see the full scientific reports once they are published which may well provide some of the answers if the radio-isotope tests are successful as to probable origin of the apparent 'execution victims' but that may not be for several months - if not years yet and will probably be dependant on the availability of publication funds. :lol:

Melvadius

The speculation on who precisely were killed and then buried in this way is still running way ahead of full scientific analysis e.g. the fact that there have been no 'material' remains found with the bodies may (as the articles indicate) be a sign that they were naked when killed. However it equally likely could indicate that the victims were wearing clothing made from natural material such as wool (or just possibly linen) which has since rotted away.
Since almost all ancient textiles were biodegradable, their absence would have hardly been then an unexpected finding in any possible scenario; so my guess is that, even after a millennium, some evidence of the cloths of so many victims should have been identified, even at the preliminary exam in the field.

I

Since almost all ancient textiles were biodegradable, their absence would have hardly been then an unexpected finding in any possible scenario; so my guess is that, even after a millennium, some evidence of the cloths of so many victims should have been identified, even at the preliminary exam in the field.

I

Edited by Melvadius

I can assure you from personal knowledge that when excavating graves of this age any indication of clothing found may simply be a darker stain on the ground, rarely an impression of woven cloth remaining (either on one of the bones or in the soil where it had originally been lying) but usually not even that.

In Britain and similar parts of the world where there can be a lot of rain it all depends on the type of soil (basically how acidic it is) and whether the sub-surface conditions are right, as at Vindolanda, for 'anaerobic' conditions to exist in which case a suprising amount of cloth or indications of it and/or other usualy perishable materials may survive.

Obviously in arid parts of the world such perishable material is also less likely to rot so larger quantities can survive.

Thanks for your patient explanation.

Among so many medieval male corpses, wouldn

BBC have posted another article speculating about the possible Viking origins of the bodies found. There is associated with this article several good photographs of the excavation in progress at:

Article at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/8250295.stm

Photographs at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/8260072.stm

Thanks for the link's Melvadius.

I quite like Mr Score's (project manager) theory....... "I like the picture of a group of Vikings landing on the coast and perhaps being caught out.

"There are 50 of them coming inland to raid but then they turn around and there are 200 to 300 locals and they can't get back to their ship."

He said the bodies that were found would support this theory.

Please add me to the thanking fans group of Mel for taking us with him to the fascinting archaeodetective's world; as usual, he's doing a great job .

This new article have indeed a couple of nice (almost gory) pics, but apparently little additional substance.

Mr. Score's Viking theory is perfectly plausible... as the former Saxon theories were (and still are), and undoubtedly as many other speculations.

Not a word on the textile analysis; Mr Score still infers (seemingly on his own) the victims were naked.

Trying to get any hard conclusion from the absence of "one or two heads" from the estimated 51 bodies seems a little too farfetched to me at this point.

Edited by sylla