UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Prepare to get annoyed

Lanista

Tapert (Lawless' husband and producer of Xena: Warrior Princess) and DeKnight (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) explained why they decided to "bend history," as DeKnight put it, for the new show.

I would have rather seen a Buffy/Xena crossover. Buffy gets transported to Dark Age Greece to fight the demons and vampires. Or Gorgons. Buffy the Gorgon Slayer. Yeah, that would have been cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering that the show's creator has basically said that this series will be inaccurate, it's only following the tradition of all screen depictions of Spartacus from the Kirk Douglas film to Goran's 2004 version. The BBC's drama documentary version also played very loosely with the facts. Even the 2004 version of Spartacus was more accurate than the 'Heroes & Villains' documentary ...and that's saying something. Who knows this might be fun to watch in a cheesy sort of way.

I would have rather seen a Buffy/Xena crossover. Buffy gets transported to Dark Age Greece to fight the demons and vampires. Or Gorgons. Buffy the Gorgon Slayer. Yeah, that would have been cool.

I've always felt kinda sorry for the Gorgons. They started as beautiful women, and then get turned to hideous creatures because Medusa has sex with Poseidon in Athena's temple. (Like she had any choice - Poseidon even raped his own sister Demeter once.)

So once given their makeovers by Athena, the Gorgons take themselves so far from humanity that Perseus has to give three handicapped old ladies the third degree just to find them. So they are hardly a public menace. In fact Medusa did most of her petrifying after she was murdered and Perseus started waving her head at people he didn't like.

Anyway, once Medusa got capped, this left two sisters. They were immortal (Medusa wasn't), so either Buffy the Gorgon slayer finds a way around that, and we have one episode (and the pilot of course) or we have many episodes involving Buffy the wannabe Gorgon Slayer.

On the other hand, we could unleash Buffy on a nasty beastie called the Strix which rips up babies to get the mother's milk with an extra order of baby blood - problem is that Buffy the Strix slayer hardly rolls off the tongue.

Of course, 'bending' a bit of mythology solves all these problems anyway - Bring on Buffy the Pedant slayer!

• 4 months later...
For those who haven't seen it, here is the new trailer for Spartacus: Blood and Sand -

It seems to me to be heavily influenced by Zack Snyder's 300.

If anything, it looks to be a completely new interpretation of Spartacus - something completely beyond Kubrick's and the 2004 Tv movie.

I'm not going to pay good money to Starz to see this, but if it comes out on DVD I may borrow it from my public library for free.

Lots of splatter, I noticed.

-- Nephele

For those who haven't seen it, here is the new trailer for Spartacus: Blood and Sand -

It seems to me to be heavily influenced by Zack Snyder's 300.

If anything, it looks to be a completely new interpretation of Spartacus - something completely beyond Kubrick's and the 2004 Tv movie.

I'm not going to pay good money to Starz to see this, but if it comes out on DVD I may borrow it from my public library for free.

Lots of splatter, I noticed.

-- Nephele

I've had quite enough "splatter" from the books I've been reading lately, to last me a good long while. But I suppose I'll have to look in on Spartacus just to see how it's being done.