UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cornelius_sulla

Sulla

The cognomen Sulla; what does it mean and what are it's origins if anyone knows. This question may have been asked already, so forgive my laziness in not checking if it has (my computer's a dog!)

The cognomen Sulla; what does it mean and what are it's origins if anyone knows. This question may have been asked already, so forgive my laziness in not checking if it has (my computer's a dog!)

Sulla - There is much dispute as to the origin and meaning of this surname, with some stating that it is a diminutive of Sura, others that it is an ancient word with roughly the same meaning as "Rufus" ("red-haired" or "ruddy-complexioned"), and others that it is derived from the name Sibylla, which was supposedly later shortened to "Sylla."

Sura - Meaning "the calf of the leg." While this surname is found in other gentes in addition to the Cornelia gens, the Publius Cornelius Lentulus Sura who bore this surname is said by Plutarch (and recounted by Smith in his Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology) to have received the nickname when serving as quaestor to Sulla in 81 BCE. When called by Sulla to give an accounting of himself, Sura "answered by scornfully putting out his leg, 'like boys,' says Plutarch, 'when they make a blunder in playing at ball.' (Cicero 17)."

Sibylla - This surname was received by the 3rd century BCE decumvir Publius Cornelius Rufus who, according to Macrobius in his Saturnalia, advised consultation of the Sibylline Books upon the institution of the Games of Apollo.

Surnames of the Cornelii :lol:

-- Nephele

Thanks Neph! I should've thought about checking out the Cornelii names that you did. I knew I'd seen a definition somewhere.

You're the bomb, sis!