UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Parmenion

There isn't a whole lot of information on this obscure Macedonian or his actual heritage. I could read a whole heap of books, or just cut to the chase and use the internet. All contributions welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to agree with Sylla, Parmenion's father was a Macedonian nobleman called Philotus so that and the fact that he was Phillip II of Macedon most loyal and trusted general must go a long way to prove he was of Macedonian stock.

In one of David Gemmills novels it has Parmenion as the son of a Spartan warrior and being raised as a Spartan but this is just fictitious, so this could be where some of the confusion about his heritage comes from but as far as I'm aware he was 100% Macedonian.

I'd have to agree with Sylla, Parmenion's father was a Macedonian nobleman called Philotus so that and the fact that he was Phillip II of Macedon most loyal and trusted general must go a long way to prove he was of Macedonian stock.

In one of David Gemmills novels it has Parmenion as the son of a Spartan warrior and being raised as a Spartan but this is just fictitious, so this could be where some of the confusion about his heritage comes from but as far as I'm aware he was 100% Macedonian.

Cheers all... to be honest, it was the Gemell book that got me curious. Nice spotting that man/woman/otherwise! (just taking the piss GPM!)

Edited by cornelius_sulla

Cheers all... to be honest, it was the Gemell book that got me curious. Nice spotting that man/woman/otherwise! (just taking the piss GPM!)

Thought as much!!

How dare you take the piss you dirty rotten Kiwi!!! :lol::wine:

• 5 months later...

This is also the only time I have ever heard of Parmenion being referred to as anything other than Macedonian.