UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hunter-Gatherers altered environment

Humans are probably the reason behind the extinctions of many species of large animals at the end of the last Ice Age. The open plains of East Africa like Serengeti famous for their wildlife are believed to be created by man when they deforested these areas with fire to make way for cattle.

This report is relevant because until quite recently the prevalent opinion (shared by many people still today) was that the good savages lived in perfect harmony with nature; as their chat section shows, there is still some disagreement about the contribution of early humans to the extinction of the Megafauna.

I entirely agree with Kosmo; the fact that Africa was the only place where the Pleistocene Megafauna survived is best explained by the long time that those animals had to adapt themselves to the humans.

I agree with NN description on BBC 4; I would think that "early" simply means previous than "late".

The Dodo quote was just a metaphore on the dissapearance of the Good Green Savage theory.