UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Huns and The Romans

erik

Hi there,

I am new to this cool forum and found a place on which I can post my question and that is the following :

I am interested in the history of the Huns and the Romans together, I want to know if they coexisted in a time some 2.ooo years ago or even before Christ.

What was their relationship, where they fighting each other, which I think they did.

Where the Huns a threat to the Roman Empire and did they attack the Romans at times ?

What time schedule can you give me of the coexistance of the Huns and the Romans ?

I like to thank you for your thought.

Erik.

Edited by erik

Erik,

I'm by no means an expert, but here's what little I know...

- They did coexist, but I'm not sure for how long

- The Romans were aware of the Huns and the potential danger they presented in the later years of the Empire (at least late 300s/early 400s)

- Attila was born the same year, 406, that a mass of several hundred Germanic tribes walked across the frozen Rhine and entered Gaul. This was a key moment in the decline of the Empire and is fictionalized (in a terrific sequence of battles) in Wallace Breem's "Eagle in the Snow".

- One of the pressures on the tribes in Germania may have been the Huns migration westward. The huns already had a terrible reputation and so many tribes wanted to get out of the way. Italy was still strong enough to fend off attacks within Italy itself. Geography was limited to the North. The Huns were coming from the East...and so the only direction available was West across the Rhine into poorly defended Gaul.

Hi there,

I am new to this cool forum and found a place on which I can post my question and that is the following :

I am interested in the history of the Huns and the Romans together, I want to know if they coexisted in a time some 2.ooo years ago or even before Christ.

What was their relationship, where they fighting each other, which I think they did.

Where the Huns a threat to the Roman Empire and did they attack the Romans at times ?

What time schedule can you give me of the coexistance of the Huns and the Romans ?

Erik.

Anyway, for me the most surprising thing about huns it's their excellent siege ability. Between 440-447 the huns not only defeated the Eastern roman field armies but conquered most of the cities and fortresses in the Balkans and there were lots of them. In many places the destruction it's confirmed by archeology so the complains that more then 100 cities were taken may be true.

This is interesting altogether, the reason why I asked this on this forum is that I had inner visions during meditation some 8 months ago about this.

They were telling me that the Romans and the Huns did coexist, but I thought it might have been fantasy.

Believe me or not, I have lived in that time, I was not Cesar or so of course but it was interesting enough to have had the visions which were telling me a certain story about myself in that time.

It also confirmed that which I already knew and that is that after physical death you take with you your character and the things and story I have seen confirms my character, I would have behaved in the same way in these times, make it better, I did.

Maybe I will post the story here, it was also the reason for me to join this forum. I lived more lives and of every life I know a story, that's why I joined so many forums which deals with history.

I am a yoga teacher.

There was a very interesting documentary on E4 the other night.

'Attila & the Empire of the Huns'.

Have a look at "www.channel4.com/programmes/attila-and-the-empire-of-the-huns".

"In 451 Attila the Hun set off on a war of total destruction that could have spelt the end of much of what has since become European heritage. He swept through Germany and France, and a year later was poised to invade Italy.

This film explores the major events that turned the tide on Attila when he was on the brink of victory over the most powerful countries in Western Europe, from his surprise settlement with the fledgling Pope, to his sudden death from an apparent nosebleed in bed with his new wife."

You might catch it on 4oD (facility to watch some Channel 4 programs on-line), though I'm not sure if it works outside the UK.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

There was a very interesting documentary on E4 the other night.

'Attila & the Empire of the Huns'.

Have a look at "www.channel4.com/programmes/attila-and-the-empire-of-the-huns".

"In 451 Attila the Hun set off on a war of total destruction that could have spelt the end of much of what has since become European heritage. He swept through Germany and France, and a year later was poised to invade Italy.

This film explores the major events that turned the tide on Attila when he was on the brink of victory over the most powerful countries in Western Europe, from his surprise settlement with the fledgling Pope, to his sudden death from an apparent nosebleed in bed with his new wife."

You might catch it on 4oD (facility to watch some Channel 4 programs on-line), though I'm not sure if it works outside the UK.

Well, that's a very interesting point, thankx everybody who replied to this topic anyway.

I checked channel4 but they didn't put the series online (yet), maybe later, thankx.

I didn't know that the Huns were as far as German and France, I only knew that the Huns took Kiev because I read that in a comic book somewhere in 1997.

That explains a lot to me.

I had been captured by the Huns in that past life and thank God help came in the form of warriors on horses who killed all the Huns and their horses.

It was somewhere in a desert kind of landscape.

Then I was captured by the ones who killed the Huns and taken to their city and then I went to jail, got out and got into a fight with Romans on horses, because they kicked me to the ground because I asked them if I could fight for them, I broke their banner and got into trouble again.

Anyway, I won't go too much into details here, but point is that it was in a time were Huns were posing a threat to other people.

It could have been in the German countries or in France.

I am very happy to read that Atilla didn't conquer Rome, because that would have been disastrous for the Western countries, and for me in that time B)

Erik.

I checked channel4 but they didn't put the series online (yet), maybe later, thankx.

Hi Erik,

I just checked, and I still have it on my HDD. Send me a personal message, and I'll see what I can do to get it to you.

Cheers.

Hi Erik,

I just checked, and I still have it on my HDD. Send me a personal message, and I'll see what I can do to get it to you.

Cheers.

Hi there,

Erik.

Actually, almost all we know about the Huns was relative to and narrated by the Romans across their relatively short existence as a political/ethnic entity (late IV to middle V centuries AD). Our sources consistently depicted them as an evil menace, but their relationship with both Roman Empires and the Germanic nations were frequently quite complex.

Actually, almost all we know about the Huns was relative to and narrated by the Romans across their relatively short existence as a political/ethnic entity (late IV to middle V centuries AD). Our sources consistently depicted them as an evil menace, but their relationship with both Roman Empires and the Germanic nations were frequently quite complex.

Thank you Sylla, for your answer, I am happy to learn that the timeframe was late IV to middle V centuries AD. So the glorious years of conquest for the Huns is estimated around 60 - 75 years only.

That means that I lived in the time from 475 to 550 AD, somewhere in that timeframe, thank you for sharing.

I like to think that the Huns were barbaric people, otherwise the reign wouldn't have been so short, it is something which happens to all barbaric people, they will not last long, Hitler didn't last very long as well.

Erik,

I'm by no means an expert, but here's what little I know...

- They did coexist, but I'm not sure for how long

- The Romans were aware of the Huns and the potential danger they presented in the later years of the Empire (at least late 300s/early 400s)

- Attila was born the same year, 406, that a mass of several hundred Germanic tribes walked across the frozen Rhine and entered Gaul. This was a key moment in the decline of the Empire and is fictionalized (in a terrific sequence of battles) in Wallace Breem's "Eagle in the Snow".

- One of the pressures on the tribes in Germania may have been the Huns migration westward. The huns already had a terrible reputation and so many tribes wanted to get out of the way. Italy was still strong enough to fend off attacks within Italy itself. Geography was limited to the North. The Huns were coming from the East...and so the only direction available was West across the Rhine into poorly defended Gaul.

Thank you too, now I reread your post you have a different timeframe, late 3oos/early 400s, so according to the information I get from you all guys, I must have lived between, let's say, 375 AD and 550 AD.

And if I understand it correctly the invasion of the Huns was responsible for the decline of the Roman Empire in the end, but as I remember, there were two Roman Empires, right ?

One in the West and one in the east, now I know how the Empire ended from the West, how did they end from the east, was it the invasion of the Turks that made the eastern Empire Islamic ?

I slightly remember this.

• 4 weeks later...

I posted my inner visions of that past life on All Empire forums in the following thread :

http://www.allempires.net/forum/topic12474...5475.html#15475

Please read it and I hope to get answers to my questions I am asking there, so in that way I can get a little more insight to my former life, I guess I am entitled to that, don't you think ?

Thankx for reading !!!

Edited by erik

I guess I am entitled to that, don't you think ?

Actually, no, you're not entitled to anything, but that's beside the point I suppose. Personally, if it were me, and I believed in this sort of thing, my guess is that I'd want to digest more detailed source information. Here's just a couple of suggestions:

Hun Specific:

Huns: Peoples of Europe

The End of the Empire: Attila...

Attila the Barbarian King...

Less Hun specific late western Roman empire:

The Fall of Rome...

The Fall of the Roman Empire...

I guess I am entitled to that, don't you think ?

Actually, no, you're not entitled to anything, but that's beside the point I suppose. Personally, if it were me, and I believed in this sort of thing, my guess is that I'd want to digest more detailed source information.

Well, it has been my life so I am entitled to more information coming from that life, that's my opinion, no offense though.

And I know that by the mercy of God a person gets this information, through normal material senses and means or through etheric means, so I'm not worried.

Thankx for the information you took the trouble for to inform me, very kind.

I will check it out, but my question here is a simple one, does anyone know what country my former life could have been ?

I mean, I saw sandy streets of a city and a palace with a leader, and besides that, I saw a desert, where I was tortured by the Huns and where I got into a fight with the Romans, where could this have been ?

Thankx,

erik.