UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Top 10 Artifacts at New Vindolanda Museum

JGolomb

Preview: Top 10 Artefacts Coming to the New Vindolanda Museum in 2011

1: The Vindolanda Tablets

The tablets on loan from the British Museum will be the star attraction at the newly refurbished museum. Birley says:

Oddly enough, I have never heard of the The Vindolanda Tablets. The painted glass bowl looks great though, with its picture of...what is it? a Samnite Gladiator?

The gladiators shown are a secutor (with scutum and gladius) and a retiarius (with trident). A Samnite gladiator is known only from the republic time and the scholars do not know what his armatara really looked like if he was a predecessor to the murmillo. The pairing retiarius vs. secutor became one of the most popular ones and is seen on many depictions.

I wonder if there are studies on the Latin found in the letters/writing from the Vindolanda site. I can't think of another cache of Latin documents so revealing of everyday life.

Oddly enough, I have never heard of the The Vindolanda Tablets. The painted glass bowl looks great though, with its picture of...what is it? a Samnite Gladiator?

You shock me (as does Ludovicus) - I thought they were the most famous body of Latin military texts from Britain if not most of Europe (Medieval translations or copies of earlier works, Egyptian ostraca as non-European and Herculaneum papyri as the contents of a single civilian library obviously excepted).

Check out the following link to the online version of Bowmans work on the subject (Vols I and II only not the more recent Vol III so far) where each of the tablets found to date and transcribed are described and their text interpreted:

http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/

The 'subject' search is a good way of targeting particular topics discussed in the tablets at:

http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/4DLink2/4D...;submit=Subject

Edited by Melvadius

Melvadius, I don't know whether to sing your praises for the two links you included in the last post or to shout one of those ancient British curses at you. I spent three hours online completely enthrawed. Seriously, thanks for the Vindolanda site! But three hours!

Edited by Ludovicus

Melvadius, I don't know whether to sing your praises for the two links you included in the last post or to shout one of those ancient British curses at you. I spent three hours online completely enthrawed. Seriously, thanks for the Vindolanda site! But three hours!

Sorry :(

Sorry :(

I also thank you posting the links. I spent almost two hours reading.