UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Masada

DecimusCaesar

That anyone would even try to analyze the nature of the Jewish fighters from such treacherous Quisling just because he was a good writer, even against the archaeological evidence from Masada itself (like the bones of pigs or the bodies of people who tried to flee from the city) simply puzzles me.

Let face it; some classical historians could have been really nasty people too.

So what? Nasty people are capable of accurate history too. If there's archaeological evidence from the Masada that contradicts Josephus' account, could you please explain it more thoroughly? For example, how do we know the bones discovered there were of people trying to flee?

So what? Nasty people are capable of accurate history too.
You perfectly know that Josephus was a rebel traitor, a Jewish turncoat and a Flavian client (in fact, a former "terrorist"); I'm sure you have no trouble in perceiving his evident and understandable bias against his former comrades.

If there's archaeological evidence from the Masada that contradicts Josephus' account, could you please explain it more thoroughly? For example, how do we know the bones discovered there were of people trying to flee?
Please check it out on Livius.org. Edited by sylla

So what? Nasty people are capable of accurate history too.
You perfectly know that Josephus was a rebel traitor, a Jewish turncoat and a Flavian client (in fact, a former "terrorist"); I'm sure you have no trouble in perceiving his evident and understandable bias against his former comrades.

If there's archaeological evidence from the Masada that contradicts Josephus' account, could you please explain it more thoroughly? For example, how do we know the bones discovered there were of people trying to flee?
Please check it out on Livius.org.

Sylla, considering that you frequently ask others to provide evidence for their assertions, I believe it would behoove you to be a bit more specific in your response to MPC here. While Livius.org is an admirable resource, simply supplying a URL doesn't really answer MPC's question: "How do we know the bones discovered there were of people trying to flee?"

-- Nephele

Sylla, considering that you frequently ask others to provide evidence for their assertions, I believe it would behoove you to be a bit more specific in your response to MPC here. While Livius.org is an admirable resource, simply supplying a URL doesn't really answer MPC's question: "How do we know the bones discovered there were of people trying to flee?"
I didn't "simply supply a URL " to MPC; I send him to the source of the information that he asked for.

BTW, it's not a matter of admiration; the high standards of Prof. Lendering's use of the rules of evidence simply speak by themselves, as anyone can verify.

This would be the most directly relevant Article; there is some additional relevant stuff in other articles.

The author can also be directly adressed there if anyone has any additional question.

Edited by sylla

This would be the most directly relevant Article; there is some additional relevant stuff in other articles.

The author can also be directly adressed there if anyone has any additional question.

"The Sicarians were, to say the least, not deeply attached to the Jewish faith. The archaeologists also discovered the bodies of people who tried to flee from the violence."

Thanks for the more direct link.

-- Nephele

Full context might be even better (emphasis is mine):

So far Josephus. The -admittedly less exciting- truth is that the people who occupied Masada, were neither religious literalists nor fanatic soldiers.

The siege is not mentioned in the Jewish sources, because the Jews did not recognize the fall of Masada as part of their history.

Josephus himself admits that not all Sicarians were Jews (Jewish Antiquities, 2.434), and this is confirmed by the fact that archaeologists have found the bones of pigs on the platform.

"The Sicarians were, to say the least, not deeply attached to the Jewish faith. The archaeologists also discovered the bodies of people who tried to flee from the violence."
On the other hand, copies of certain texts found on the rock of Masada were also found at Qumran, which -depending on one's view of the sectarian nature of the Scrolls of the Dead Sea- may or may not prove the presence, among other fighters, of a group of literalists. Edited by sylla

Thanks for the more direct link.

-- Nephele

Just out of curiousity how did they determine that these people were trying to flee from the violence?

Just out of curiousity how did they determine that these people were trying to flee from the violence?
I still prefer to leave such question to the original author.

I have left a message with J Lendering. Hopefull he will post here.