UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The History Of Rome

TonyGee

ive just started Reading Livius, Titus. A History of Rome and have to say it is an exceptional read ( i take it most users here have already read it ) but im wondering at just how much of the 1st book we can take as fact. Was early Rome Realy as war like as the book states? or was that just part of life for all peoples in that age?.

Im only up to section 1.40 so i have a long way to go before i am finished with it, still i thought it was a good read and something maybe worth discussing.

A link to the online text will follow, if you guys dont want me linking to somewhere else please just say so and i will stop.

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/p...ic/Liv1His.html

The link is fine Tony... no worries.

Livy is one of the few sources that can be considered at least semi-reliable. Unfortunately the early history of Rome is based mostly on legend and a great deal of anecdotal evidence. Its still likely as close as we'll ever get to it though, just take it with a grain of salt. Personally I love Livy and recommend it to anyone interested in Rome.

• 1 month later...