UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

LATE ROMAN FILMS

kurtedwr

"De Reditu" is a very interesting Italian film based on the

work of Claudius Rutilius Namatianus, a fifth century Roman.

From IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404363/

Plot Summary for

De Reditu (Il ritorno) (2004) More at IMDbPro

Edited by Ludovicus

There's the Hypatia movie with Rachel Weiss. I havent heard much of it lately, though - anyone else heard any news? Is it out yet?

Atilla with Gerard Butler and Powers Boothe. Some people hate it, but I enjoyed it - even if he did look like he belonged in Whitesnake circa 1987

I saw Whitesnake on tour in 1987. They rocked and I was scared of the scary tattoo-people that were in attendance. :-)

Atilla with Gerard Butler and Powers Boothe. Some people hate it, but I enjoyed it - even if he did look like he belonged in Whitesnake circa 1987

Lanista - good call on the Whitesnake referenced. Looks separated at birth to me:

Eurofoxx____Attila_the_Hun_by_Gerard_Butler_Fans.jpg

26_david-coverdale.jpg

There's the Hypatia movie with Rachel Weiss. I havent heard much of it lately, though - anyone else heard any news? Is it out yet?

It is out in some countries (it was actually months ago) but since then lost.

There's an old film I haven't seen called The Last Roman/ Struggle for Rome (depends which country your in - it's actual name is Kampf un Rom ) . It's about a Roman politician called Cethegus and stars Orson Welles as Justinian I. Technically you could call the film a late Roman/Byzantine period film.

here's a link from imdb:

Kampf un Rom

It also has a sequel -

Kampf un Rom II

Can't really judge it as I haven't seen it myself.

The trailer looks interesting, although the legionary uniforms are inaccurate and it looks anti-Christian.

Hmm, late Roman films never seem to get the detail right with uniforms. As far as being anti - christian goes, unfortunately any movie dealing with Hypatia in particular and the end of classical civilisation in general is not going to show Christianity in a favourable light. However attached we may or may not be toward that religion, one cannot deny that it and other monotheistic cults were responsible for the 'transformation' of much of the classical world.

That Justinian film with Orson Welles looks interesting, and I suppose if Late Roman movies are thin on the ground, Byzantine movies are more so.

The trailer looks interesting, although the legionary uniforms are inaccurate and it looks anti-Christian.

Hmm, late Roman films never seem to get the detail right with uniforms. As far as being anti - christian goes, unfortunately any movie dealing with Hypatia in particular and the end of classical civilisation in general is not going to show Christianity in a favourable light. However attached we may or may not be toward that religion, one cannot deny that it and other monotheistic cults were responsible for the 'transformation' of much of the classical world.

I've just seen Agora yesterday and I must say that I'm bluffed away. Yes they are some issues with the historical reconstruction (building in the wrong place, soldiers' outfit not fitting for the period, ...) but the plot is interesting, the themes spoken of are numerous and well treated, not putting any blame on a religion but on fanaticism, ambition and blind stupidity, and it is a moving and rare description of the fall of the Roman Empire, much worth seeing.

It use a lot of allegories and symbolism (like the Occulus of the Atrium) but does also have wonderfull pictures.

All in all a very good movie

Edited by Bryaxis Hecatee