UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Getting a degree

GaiaCaesari524

Salve!

I am a freshman in College, and I was wondering if anyone had some good advice for me--I want to get a degree in Classics, with a concentration in Late-Republican Rome. =]

As you are referring to being a freshman I presume that you are talking about the American College system. If so does it not to some extent, like the UK system, depend upon which college/ university you are at what combination of subjects you can take?

Salve!

I am a freshman in College, and I was wondering if anyone had some good advice for me--I want to get a degree in Classics, with a concentration in Late-Republican Rome. =]

Check to make sure that you sign up to the right course. A classics degree may be different from a degree in classical history. Classics students looking at the Late Republic spend more of their time looking at how Cicero put his speeches together and his use of the past participle. Classical history students focus on why Cicero was making those speeches in the first place. In other words, though there's a large overlap, Classics is mainly about language, and classical history is mainly about events.

The next thing that any university will ask (as well as about your funding!) is what previous experience you have had in the subject. And though these days it is certainly not essential, you won't do yourself any harm in learning some basic Latin asap.