UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Reason for Aqua Augusta aqueduct?

caesar novus

I wonder if the aqueduct that served the right bank of the Tiber (Trastevere) was really built to feed the private gardens and Naumachia of Augustus. To have a 33km structure built toward a water source that wasn't even drinkable, mainly to occasionally fill up a novelty maritime slaughter theater seems a major outrage even by emperor standards http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_Alsietina

I hope the aqueduct was more intended for efficient use of grey-water as described in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sextus_Julius...ribution_system . But I wonder how much undrinkable water was needed on that "wrong" side of the Tiber. I thought Rome was surrounded by rich villas at that time, and it was quite a long distance before food growing was common. Maybe the water was hoped to be drinkable, or at least bearable if the aqueducts sources in the opposite direction were somehow compromised (all others at that time went in the opposite direction serving the other side of Tiber).

Edited by caesar novus

Maybe the water was hoped to be drinkable, or at least bearable if the aqueducts sources in the opposite direction were somehow compromised (all others at that time went in the opposite direction serving the other side of Tiber).

I should have noted that with a couple small exceptions, it appears to me that the other aquaducts mainly feed off the same river valley.They take a roundabout (presumably contour-following) path to Tivoli, then go various distances up the same stream. Could barbarians have put one diseased cow carcass upriver and give most of Rome upset tummies?

Edited by caesar novus