UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome and Sienna in June!

To my fellow UNRV'ers! I'm going to be travelling in Italy for a couple of weeks in June--my very first trip to the Motherland, as it were. I need some help in finding out information.

I'll be flying into Rome on 10 June, spending a couple of days there, and then go to the Sienna area. I fly back out of Rome on the 24th.

I'm really looking for some websites and information on a few things:

--inexpensive places to stay in Rome (something that's near the train stations, which is how I'll be getting to Sienna, perhaps downtown-ish near the sights). In Spain they have pensiones--government-subsidized hotels--which is more like what I'm looking for.

--any festivals or such celebrations that might be worth checking out at that time

--train schedules...this seemed easy to do for Spain a few years ago, but I don't know about Italy

Finally, any advice for a single 30-something woman traveling alone through the lovely Peninsula? (Other than the usual...common sense, don't go anywhere alone at night, etc.)

Any and all pointers are welcomed!

(Oh, by the way, I plan on going to one place in particular--AAA, for the Americans--for info...the books I got there for Spain helped immensely. But my thought here was to see if there was any other hidden gem in cyberspace that you guys knew about.)

I'm really looking for some websites and information on a few things:

--inexpensive places to stay in Rome (something that's near the train stations, which is how I'll be getting to Sienna, perhaps downtown-ish near the sights). In Spain they have pensiones--government-subsidized hotels--which is more like what I'm looking for.

--any festivals or such celebrations that might be worth checking out at that time

--train schedules...this seemed easy to do for Spain a few years ago, but I don't know about Italy

--You might like Hotel Sileo, a block or two from the train station, very friendly place and inexpensive. They make you leave the room during the daytime, but if that's not a problem for you I'd recommend it.

--nothing I can think of, looks like you'll just miss out on the Palio.

--www.trenitalia.com

If you do a web search, shorten the spelling to Siena. For info, poke around http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1879...na_Tuscany.html . Most folks change to the bus from Florence which is more convenient, but for train info I usually sanity check the Italian site with http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e which provides you more info like the stop before the one you want to use, so you are ready.

For cheap accomodation, I posted a monastery stay site in my "rome meet 10/11" thread in here, but it may not fit your needs. It includes nunneries, and seemingly any kind of church owned apt complex all over Rome or Italy. It is mainly a reduced tax category which shares the saving with you, but does not staff at night. So you are locked down when you may need to leave early for the airport, and some other problems.

What I recommend is to use some recommended hotel(!). What I did was start with the somewhat overpriced but fully documented venere.com site even though their (large) selection in Rome was depressing, and reading the many customer writeups reminded me of many a dysfunctional stay. It is nice that they usually don't charge a deposit, and allow online cancellation. There are many other approaches, but that is the lazy one where you know what you get into (can display by map and price, etc).

Also on that other thread I showed the gov't event list, but here it is translated. Poke around a few weeks ahead, and delve into various subcategories http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y...sl=it&tl=en

Pay attention to the day of the week for museum closures (monday?) or free days (last sunday of mo?) with a decent guidebook (surely not AAA?) or something like http://wikitravel.org/en/Main_Page

Edited by caesar novus

Most folks change to the bus from Florence which is more convenient,

Admittedly going to Siena by train isn't the most efficient way to travel. But if you're going to take a bus why not take the direct line from Rome to Siena?

It's almost as slow as the train, but I doubt the Florence-Siena route is any faster.

Hmmm...never thought of taking the bus. There's another idea to explore.

Thanks, Maladict and CN! I do need to go through the Rome Meet thread a bit more closely; hopefully I'll have some time in the next couple of days.

Hmmm...never thought of taking the bus. There's another idea to explore.

Thanks, Maladict and CN! I do need to go through the Rome Meet thread a bit more closely; hopefully I'll have some time in the next couple of days.

Lucky you. I'm envious. Another great place to ask questions and pick up tips from fellow travelers is on the Fodors travel forum here: http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ They have a Europe forum, among others, to discuss trips,ect. Very informative group of people. I usually hang out at the Lounge since I don't have money to travel much - but I still enjoy reading the many trip reports posted.

I first tried a youth hostel. It had gender segregated rooms and that was a minus for us but may work for you.

Then we stayed at a nunnery. The curfew hour did not bother me as I was already beaten from walking by that time. The conditions were not great but it was cheap and downtown.

any advice for a single 30-something woman traveling alone through the lovely Peninsula?

Get used with 'Ciao bella!' :lol:

Poke around a few weeks ahead, and delve into various subcategories http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y...sl=it&tl=en

Oooh... better keep watch on events even now, because some long term ones are already starting and may fall off the featured list later. I haven't done your work for you (delving into regional searches), but just from the highlight list there are 2 all summer events right by the Roman Forum. Capitoline museum will have a exhibit on Roman-Greek relations, and the big white Kings monument (with a new glass elevator for forum viewing) will have a French impressionist exhibit (nice for me since I prefer it to Roman or renaissance paintings). Isn't it nice how they include maps and all:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...1337612205.html

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...6pagename%3D129

Wow, I'll have to pass these onto my parents; they're planning to spend a week in Rome. Thanks, CN!

Kosmo...oh, I know about the 'Ciao bella' concept...got it a lot when I would go into the border towns at the Texas/Mexican border. I'm just hoping not to get my bum pinched off...or is that a good sign? ;)

Kosmo...oh, I know about the 'Ciao bella' concept...got it a lot when I would go into the border towns at the Texas/Mexican border. I'm just hoping not to get my bum pinched off...or is that a good sign? ;)

You can try armor protection. Something like what princess Leia had when she visited Jabba!

Hey, Doc, congrats on your upcoming trip! Don't tease the natives too much! :lol:

-- Nephele