UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Kent and the Saxon Shore

GhostOfClayton

I decided that this year I would treat myself and Mrs. OfClayton to a week in Kent with a view to seeing what there was to see of the Saxon Shore defences, etc.

So, where should I go? What is a must-see down there? Any museums worth a visit? Any sites? Other Roman stuff in Kent, or within a comfortable drive/train journey?

As a dedicated Northerner, it's not often I find myself south of the Wash, so any advice would be gratefully received.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

• 2 weeks later...

GhostOfClayton, a lot will depend on precisely when you are intending visiting as several of the main sites close during the Winter months. However, to get things started I have listed below a few links providing sueful information on the main Roman sites in Kent as well as one in East Sussex which you may wish to add to your visit itinerary.

[url="http://

GhostOfClayton, a lot will depend on precisely when you are intending visiting as several of the main sites close during the Winter months. However, to get things started I have listed below a few links providing sueful information on the main Roman sites in Kent as well as one in East Sussex which you may wish to add to your visit itinerary.

Thanks for the information, Melvadius. I shall go away and digest it. Fortunately, we're planning a July visit, so hopefully all will be open.

There's an interesting looking peice of Saxon Shore masonary on the cover of the OS "Roman Britain" map. (http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Britain-Historical-Ordnance-Survey/dp/0319290298/ref=pd_sim_b_5). Any idea what that is?

Thanks for the information, Melvadius. I shall go away and digest it. Fortunately, we're planning a July visit, so hopefully all will be open.

There's an interesting looking peice of Saxon Shore masonary on the cover of the OS "Roman Britain" map. (http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Britain-Historical-Ordnance-Survey/dp/0319290298/ref=pd_sim_b_5). Any idea what that is?

The Ordnance Survey used Pevensey for the front cover of the 5th edition and it does make a good image although I believe the top part of the walls were at least partially rebuilt in the medieval period as part of the later castle which is situated within the Roman defences.

As you are intending going in July I cannot offer the other suggestion I would have made which would have been to try and visit the ongoing Kent Archaeological Field School excavations at the Roman Town of Duroleveum (at Syndale, near Faversham) as that only occurs between August 14th and September 12th.

Edited by Melvadius