UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

U.K. Elections

Kosmo

This years elections in Britain are a better show then usual. Some even say that the 2 party system will come to an end.

Even Harry Potter's mom has joined the fight

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/c...et=0&page=1

while Brown does what he does best

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle7101263.ece

and some worry about the far right

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/17/world/eu...html?ref=europe

It's a question of political strength, and don't forget there's been more than two parties in our system for a long time, plus fringe groups emerging like British National Party, Green Party, UK Independence party, and any number of independents. You might also include movements such as the Monster raving Looney Party or the Nun Of The Above Party. Okay, maybe they're not too sensible, but then the established political factions in the House of Commons aren't known for sensible policies either.

It's a question of political strength, and don't forget there's been more than two parties in our system for a long time, plus fringe groups emerging like British National Party, Green Party, UK Independence party, and any number of independents. You might also include movements such as the Monster raving Looney Party or the Nun Of The Above Party. Okay, maybe they're not too sensible, but then the established political factions in the House of Commons aren't known for sensible policies either.

There have been more then 2 parties but only the big 2 parties mattered while now it looks very likely that it will be a coalition or a minority government and then the lib dems will start to be important as well.

There have been more then 2 parties but only the big 2 parties mattered while now it looks very likely that it will be a coalition or a minority government and then the lib dems will start to be important as well.

Britain is often seen as a two party state but the reality is somewhat more complicated, setting aside issues of parties strong in only one part of the Country (mainly Northern Ireland , Scotland and Wales) or parties with only one agenda, prior to the first World War the two parties in contention were the Liberals and the Conservatives/ Unionists but after WW1 Labour increasingly took over most of the Liberal vote in urban areas while during the Second World War there was a Government of National Unity which comprised members of all three major parties.

There was a formal 'Lib-Lab' pact in 1977/78 when the Liberals formed part of the Government along with Labour but also several times when the major party nominally in control has felt the need to court semi-formal agreements within the Houses of Parliament with one or other of the minor parties to get particular Bills passed so the argument that only two parties 'mattered' isn't totally correct.

N.B. Technically as the Liberal Democrats grew out of a merger between the Liberal and Social Democratic parties it would also be more correct to say that there is the 'possibility of Liberals returning to power'.

N.B. Technically as the Liberal Democrats grew out of a merger between the Liberal and Social Democratic parties it would also be more correct to say that there is the 'possibility of Liberals returning to power'.

Technically this is correct, but it is a little bit like saying that Napoleon was responsible for finally conquering the Roman Empire because the Holy Roman Empire can be seen as a resurgency of the Western Roman empire (while the Eastern Roman Empire was still in existence), and the last person to hold the title of Holy Roman Emperor was Francis II, who abdicated following military defeat by Napolean. I look forward to hearing views on whether or not Napoleon 'did for' the Roman Empire.

PS Yes, I was a little contentious purely to invite debate about the Napoleon thing. Tortuous link, I know.

Technically this is correct, but it is a little bit like saying that Napoleon was responsible for finally conquering the Roman Empire because the Holy Roman Empire can be seen as a resurgency of the Western Roman empire (while the Eastern Roman Empire was still in existence), and the last person to hold the title of Holy Roman Emperor was Francis II, who abdicated following military defeat by Napolean. I look forward to hearing views on whether or not Napoleon 'did for' the Roman Empire.

PS Yes, I was a little contentious purely to invite debate about the Napoleon thing. Tortuous link, I know.

A bit tortuous yes, especially when you consider that Voltaire stated the view that the Holy Roman Empire, as a loose federation of relatively weak duchies and princedoms under a nominal 'King' which just about at the end of it's existence straggled into Italy was 'An agglomeartion that was neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an empire.' ;)

Edited by Melvadius

• 1 month later...

A bit tortuous yes, especially when you consider that Voltaire stated the view that the Holy Roman Empire, as a loose federation of relatively weak duchies and princedoms under a nominal 'King' which just about at the end of it's existence straggled into Italy was 'An agglomeartion that was neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an empire.' ;)

I wonder how long this current cabinet will last before it is losing most of its popularity. Cuts are never well-liked by the people. UK coalitions use to be pretty frail as well. ^^

I wonder how long this current cabinet will last before it is losing most of its popularity. Cuts are never well-liked by the people. UK coalitions use to be pretty frail as well. ^^

I haven't seen any opinion polls about how much support the Government currently has.

However, David Cameron's latest interviews seem to be an admission of his intent to make 'cuts' so after the new Governments 'emergency' budget on 22 June there may well be a rapid decrease in any remaining popularity.

;)

The current government will make the neccessary cuts, and probably get the economy going again. The average voter however, motivated primarily from self-interest, will probably keep them out of office for the next three elections. I feel that Labour will be in power again before too long, all because another party (ies) is bold enough to unravel their mess.