UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hadrian's Wall Milecastles - Wikipedians Wanted

I know I shouldn't, and I've been desperately trying to stop myself, but I've not managed to talk myself out of it. I've started to fill in the empty Wikipedia pages for the Hadrian's Wall Milecastles. They were staring at me, begging to be completed.

The first 8 (and also a few higher in the number range) had been started as stubs. So far I've filled in the detail up to, and including number 4. 76 more to go, plus about 27 milefortlets on the Cumbria Coast!

So anybody fancy giving me a hand? Or at least commenting on the content of the first 4 (get the format right early on and I only need to change 4 entries. Imagine if I change the format on MC77!)

And if anyone has any related photos of milecasltes or turrets they could upload to Geograph.co.uk or Wikimedia Commons, that'd help.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

Time has marched on. I'm now working on MC34.

Why do I let this project once more raise its ugly head on these pages? Mainly because we've had a lot of new contributors to this forum, that may be interested in helping me out, so I'll re-post my appeal in the hope of attracting someone. Here goes.

Please would somebody consider helping me out on my Wikipedia Milecastles project? If we all just took one each, imagine how much further we'd take the total, and it only takes about 2-3 hours per milecastle (including coffee breaks).

. . . and you'd be a better person for having done it . . .

. . . you could feel smug for the rest of the day, knowing you created an encyclopedia article for posterity. Your name would live on after you have gone, etc.

. . . it'd be one in the eye for the Encyclopedia Britanica (and if you don't know what the Encyclopedia Britanica is, look it up on Wikipedia).

. . . I'll buy you a beer when I see you in the pub.

Hi GOC,

Sorry I cannot join you in this project since I live too far south to attempt visiting and taking appropriate photographs to include in the report.

I had a quick look at your template and it looks pretty good However when I followed the link to milecastle 2 from recent bitter experience have one observation:

The references are to OS Grid which is all very well if you wish to visit and have the appropriate map however if like I was you are trying to pull down data to run in a mapping programme like ArcGIS you really need this as British National Grid (ie all numeric rather than alpha/numeric).

Thanks for your interest, Melvadius. Please don't worry too much about photos - I include them when they're available on Geograph.org.uk or Wikimedia, and have only taken a very few personally (nothing annoys clients so much as a guide who seems to be there for their own, seperate purpose). Plus which, I feel they really only add value when there's something visible, which sadly isn't the case for so many of them.

That said, for completeness of the record I'm probably going to spend a couple of days based in Newcastle dedicated to taking photos of the sites, purely for Wikipedia (that sounds so sad when I type it here, but in my head it seems like a great couple of days!)

Good feedback on the coordinates, by the way. The British National Grid figure is available for the Milecastle (in the infobox, top right), but it's missing for turrets. I will endeavour to change the format and retrofit the coordinates.

I'll take this opportunity to expand on the process I've been using:-

I use Pastscape.org.uk, and Handbook to the Roman Wall as my main sources. Plus, there's a superb (but very academic and dry) journal available on English Heritage's website detailing all the research done along the wall. These, and another couple of online documents, are all anyone needs. I would, of course, provide scans of the relevant page(s) of the handbook to anyone interested.

As I mentioned before, photos are readily available.

Coordinates can be had from streetmap.co.uk

Anyone can do this, wherever they live.