UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Uncovering Nottingham

As part of the Nottingham Caves Survey the University of Nottingham is currently carrying out an extensive laser based survey of the medieval and earlier caves beneath the city. They are trying to map and record over the next two and a half years many more than the 450 caves already known about int he area.

The very latest laser technology combined with old fashioned pedal power is being used to provide a unique insight into the layout of Nottingham

I really enjoyed reading this, as I've been to Nottingham's famous sandstone caves. The (purportedly) oldest pub in England is Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, so called because it was said that the Crusaders stopped there for a last pint before heading off to the Holy Land. I've had a pint there, myself! I'll have to show this article to my man, who is from Nottingham.

-- Nephele

• 6 months later...

This project has moved on and there are now two recent articles on the BBC (Nov 2010) as well as a website which is dedicated to publishing additional results from the survey as individual cave recordings are completed.

Real Mortimer