UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Archaeologists given the rune around

Melvadius

The Copenhagen Post carries an interesting interpretation of Viking period

The link isn't working for me.

I'm not aware of any problem with it but here it is in full:

www.cphpost.dk/culture/culture/122-culture/49171-archaeologists-given-the-rune-around

Yuo will need to put in .html at the end

Edited by Melvadius

Thanks for that!

I'm not sure I agree with this theory .... people would take the time to scratch marks in wood and stone just to give the illusion they could read?

The original article I pointed to may result more from a journalists interpretation of what the reseach actually showed.

There is quite a bit more information, including an abstract in English and the full dissertation, (it is over 200 pages apparently written in Swedish - any takers on the site to attempt a translation or at least a short summary/ review?) on the Uppsala University website

The central section of the press release there does point out that the research was looking at the visual imagery in combination with the runic inscriptions. I know that the spelling mistakes on some Roman period inscriptions indicate that in a 'literate' culture there could be varying degrees of literacy in different areas and periods. There are suggestions that some stone carvers simply copied what was written down by someone else. So finding areas of poor Runic literacy in parts of Sweden doesn't strike me a being totally unsuprising.