UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pillars of the Earth

Has anyone watched it on Starz! or Encore? It premiered last week and I DVR'd it but haven't had the time to sit down for the 2 hours and watch it. The book is right at the top of my list of historical fictions and I'm hoping the show stays true (as much as possible of course) to Follet's original text.

In any case, between HBO's Rome, The Tudors, Spartacus and this recent production, there's no shortage of historical related television in the last few years.

Has anyone watched it on Starz! or Encore? It premiered last week and I DVR'd it but haven't had the time to sit down for the 2 hours and watch it. The book is right at the top of my list of historical fictions and I'm hoping the show stays true (as much as possible of course) to Follet's original text.

In any case, between HBO's Rome, The Tudors, Spartacus and this recent production, there's no shortage of historical related television in the last few years.

I didn't know anything about the series until it was mentioned on another site, so I watched the first two episodes on On Demand. I didn't care for it, the costumes and sets were done well; but the acting and script were not the greatest. Also, haven't read the books.

As much as I do enjoy historical fiction, and especially about Medieval Europe, I'm completely uninterested in this one. I tried to read the book several times, each time falling asleep while reading the first chapter and giving up. I have to say that the mini-series is not of interest to me.

I know that the SF Chronicle didn't like it that much.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy this show. The only issue I don't like is that it's only 8 episodes. Season finale is two hours long and ends this weekend. I like that anytime I want to watch an episode all I have to do is check out WOW on demand anytime I please for free on my cable.

Good show. I hope more historical/fiction like shows follow in the future.

Edited by Fedor

I've just seen a trailer for it, and it looks pretty good but then again that's what trailers are for though aren't they!!!

I'll still give it a go though, anything historical is good by me!!