UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarkV

"V" Marks along Via Sacra?

I just returned from my first visit to Rome and had a question that I would like to learn the answer to.

While walking along the Via Sacra in the Forum near the Arch of Tiberius, I noticed two stones on the path with a "V" mark carved into them.

Does anyone know what the historical purpose of this marking was for?

Here is a picture of one of the stones: Link

Edited by MarkV

Totally wild guess: maybe they laid out the stones before assembling, and they numbered them so they could be put back together? See any other numbers?

I have to guess as well; the sequence of photographs seem to indicate that the stones with the markings are on a slope. If they are then possibly the stones have been cut asymetrically with one end thicker than the other so they can be placed in a particuar orientation to provide the correctly angled slope.

An alternative guess is that they may have been replaced several years/ decades ago as part of a renovation project and have been marked so they can be differentiated from the original stones.

I'm afraid this is a question you really need to address to whoever is the current Superintendent for Archaeology in Rome. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your theories, I was thinking it may have been some kind of distance marker?

I did look around and only saw these two marks in this area.

Fifth legion? Valentianian gnostics meet here? Here be treasure? Look, I can carve Vs into stuff? Place of battle field victory? Distance Marker?

Mason's mark? There are plenty of other examples from the church at the end of the Alyscamps in Arles, to examples along Hadrian's Wall.