UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"V" Marks along Via Sacra?

MarkV

I just returned from my first visit to Rome and had a question that I would like to learn the answer to.

While walking along the Via Sacra in the Forum near the Arch of Tiberius, I noticed two stones on the path with a "V" mark carved into them.

Does anyone know what the historical purpose of this marking was for?

Here is a picture of one of the stones: Link

Edited by MarkV

I have to guess as well; the sequence of photographs seem to indicate that the stones with the markings are on a slope. If they are then possibly the stones have been cut asymetrically with one end thicker than the other so they can be placed in a particuar orientation to provide the correctly angled slope.

An alternative guess is that they may have been replaced several years/ decades ago as part of a renovation project and have been marked so they can be differentiated from the original stones.

I'm afraid this is a question you really need to address to whoever is the current Superintendent for Archaeology in Rome. :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mason's mark? There are plenty of other examples from the church at the end of the Alyscamps in Arles, to examples along Hadrian's Wall.