UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Did Nero Save Rome?

Crispina

Did anyone else watch this documentary on the Nation Geographic channel the other night? I found it interesting the way they brought up a new twist on the cause of the burning of Rome. Also posing the theory that perhaps Nero wasn't such a bad egg after all. His enemies just made all that stuff up! ;)

There were things about his life I never knew, though I haven't really read much about Nero. Loved how through animation they restored ancient buildings and esp. Nero's Golden House. I've forgotten the name he gave his palace? Also, did not know that his statue once stood in front of the Flavian Amphitheater thus it was afterward called the Colosseum. What happened to the statue?

Did anyone else watch this documentary on the Nation Geographic channel the other night?

Was this the one with Michael Sheen as Nero? The one from the "Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire" series? If so, I very much agree with your comments. It's one of several from that series that I have swilling about on the innards of my HDD TV box thingie, and have never got round to putting on DVD. If anyone fancies a copy, PM me and I'll sort you one out.

Did anyone else watch this documentary on the Nation Geographic channel the other night?

Was this the one with Michael Sheen as Nero? The one from the "Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire" series? If so, I very much agree with your comments. It's one of several from that series that I have swilling about on the innards of my HDD TV box thingie, and have never got round to putting on DVD. If anyone fancies a copy, PM me and I'll sort you one out.

I don't think so. This is a new documentary. That is, Nat.Geo channel has never shown it before. Here's a link I found to it: And it was "How Nero Saved Rome" not "Did..." sorry. I also see that they mention this one hour program will air again this Thursday at 9pm.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/how-nero-saved-rome-4024/Videos#tab-Videos/08773_00

Edited by Crispina