UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

List of Longest Floods in Roman History

What were the longest floods in Roman History? In some other places, rivers would break and it would take quite a while before the break would be fixed up again. Were there any similar cases within the Roman territories? What rivers were they? When did they occur? How long did the floodings last before the Romans fixed things up?

I am interested in:

1. The Late Republic

2. Early Empire (Pax Romana)

Thank you

Please provide some academic sources if you can.

• 11 years later...

It's been over 10 years since the question was posted, so I doubt that the topic-starter is gonna read what I am about to share. 

Below is a page from a ECB paper that shares some insights about floods in Europe. As can be seen from the right panel, the flood intensity is pretty high in modern Italy compared to many other places in Europe, although the frequency of events is quite low (see the left panel). I am somehow leaning to thinking that the picture must have been very similar back 2000 years ago.   

H3FX5Webrm9K04Zg7tWpoKnnwgemH0tM.jpg.421caa24c1f4dcdef24a97c436eee22c.jpg

Apart from climate change you mean? Our modern climate patterns differ from those experienced two thousand years ago. Floods are conspicuously rare in accounts of Roman times. The only one I remember off hand is one in northwest Europe in the early 1st century which had Roman legionaries moving around up their necks, literally, and if they stumbled, they didn't get up again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2010 at 10:00 PM, Chulalongkorn U Alumni said:

What were the longest floods in Roman History?

I imagine that many of the worst floods came after a tsunami after a volcanic eruption. There was severe flooding damage, for example, after the eruption of Vesuvius In AD 79.

6D42AE7F-A763-480A-9DFE-0A8BDE20FE36.gif.f15edaafc165cf5dafd63995d060d978.gif

The recent eruption of the volcano on Stromboli, an island off the coast of Sicily, has created a mini-tsunami.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/10/italys-stromboli-volcano-erupts-causing-mini-tsunami-video/amp/

Edited by guy