UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Ministry of Justice Rules Stfling Archaeological Research

I was listening to my favourite BBC Radio 4 programme the other day, Material World. It had an interesting article on archeology, which I thought I'd like to share with you.

"Over-zealous application of rules is stifling archaeological research, according to two practicing archaeologists. Duncan Sayer and Mike Pitts say it's becoming harder to run digs that involve human remains" is what the programme notes say. To explain, since the Orwellian-sounding 'Ministry of Justice' took over, the exhumation of human remains is becoming much more bureaucratic. All well and good, you might say, if this applies your council digging up your ancestors when Tesco need to extend into the local cemetery. However, the rules apply just as roundly to a Romano-British finger bone at Vindolanda. This is causing so much red tape for arcaeologists that British Archaeology magazine saw fit to have it is a cover story on a recent edition.

You can listen to the show on the BBC iPlayer, here. Just a note of caution, I have a sneaking suspicion that forum members from overseas may not be able to listen. It seems BBC License Fee payers are quite petty in a sort of "we've paid for it and you haven't" kind of way.

Sorry about that.

[For those unable to listen to the BBC iplayer here are a couple of written items which eplain the situation further:

An article written by Mike Pitts in the Guardian dated 10 October

Burial law is threatening archaeological research, say experts

Scientists object to Ministry of Justice rules which force them to rebury bones after just two years

Severe restrictions on scientists' freedom to study bones and skulls from ancient graves are putting archaeological research in Britain at risk, according to experts.

The growing dispute relates to controversial legislation introduced by the Ministry of Justice in 2008, which decreed that all human remains found during digs in Britain must be reburied within two years.

The decision means that scientists have insufficient time to carry out proper studies of any pieces of ancient skeleton they find. Key information about British history will be lost as a result.

"Suppose one of our palaeontologists found the remains of a million-year-old human," said archaeologist Mike Pitts of the Stonehenge Riverside Project.

"It would be a truly wonderful discovery and would transform our knowledge of our predecessors. But, according to the Ministry of Justice ruling, we would have to take that fossil

Good news. I must admit, I have a link via a Swiss provider that never used to allow me to use the iPlayer, but now it seems to be letting me through. Maybe the BBC have grown more magnanimous towards our friends overseas.

In that case, you should also be able to listen to "Becoming Roman" at the link given here. (For the next few days, at least).

Edited by GhostOfClayton