UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

They brushed their teeth with what?

GhostOfClayton

Have a quick look at

Now, Al Murray studied History at Oxford, and it's generally considered to be his strong subject. But is he right with this oral hygiene practice? And if so, where did he get that one from? Anyone read it in Pliny, or somewhere like that?

I think Cicero poked fun at spaniards for something like this, but I never heard of it being a roman custom.

I think it was the poet Catullus, actually.

Now you

I recall reading about Roman toothpaste at one time. I think one of the ingredients is ash, although I can't recall what else was used. I saw this mentioned in one book several years ago but i could never find it referenced in other woks since (like Adkins' Handbook to life in Ancient Rome) so it might not even be real.

Can anyone confirm this?

The BBC site H2G2 (Hitch-Hikers' Guide to the Galaxy) has this to say.

"As long ago as 5000 BC the Egyptians were making a tooth powder consisting of powdered ashes of ox hooves, myrrh, powdered and burnt eggshells, and pumice. Directions are given about relative quantities that should be mixed, but no instructions are available about how this powder was used. It is assumed that it was rubbed onto the teeth using the fingers, as the toothstick - the forerunner to the toothbrush - was not in use at that time.

The Greeks, and then the Romans, improved the recipes for toothpaste by adding abrasives such as crushed bones and oyster shells, which were used to clean debris from teeth. The Romans added powdered charcoal, powdered bark and more flavouring agents to improve the breath."