UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Dad in ancient roman writing or symbols

Wendy

To begin with i would like to say hello to everyone, this is my first time on your site. The main reason for this is that my dad has recently died and he had a fasination with the ancient roman empire, to the extent he believed to be a roman soldier in a previous life. I would like to get a small tatoo in his memory. I was thinking of just getting the word Dad, but would like it written in ancient roman writing or symbols. I have tried various places and sites and i cannot find it anywhere, can anyone here help me please, if not the word/symbol for dad then Father. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many many thanks

Wendy

The Latin word for "Father" is "Pater." I suppose if you wanted to express the fact that you hold your father in highest and most affectionate esteem, you could use "Pater Carissimus."

As for ancient Roman writing -- the Romans used the same alphabet as ours, for the most part (and in capital letters). Roman cursive writing might make an interesting tattoo. A Google search on "Roman cursive" should bring up some examples of how the different letters of the alphabet appeared.

Welcome to UNRV, and condolences to you regarding your dad. He sounds like he was quite a guy.

-- Nephele

The Latin word for "Father" is "Pater." I suppose if you wanted to express the fact that you hold your father in highest and most affectionate esteem, you could use "Pater Carissimus."

As for ancient Roman writing -- the Romans used the same alphabet as ours, for the most part (and in capital letters). Roman cursive writing might make an interesting tattoo. A Google search on "Roman cursive" should bring up some examples of how the different letters of the alphabet appeared.

Welcome to UNRV, and condolences to you regarding your dad. He sounds like he was quite a guy.

-- Nephele

A quick experiment with Cursiva Nueva (new [Roman] cursive) gives the following:

med_gallery_3894_174_2945.jpg

This a little more readable to an English script reader than the older Cursiva Antigua.

Less obviously Roman, but more readable to the modern reader is the type of font you see carved into monuments (Times New Roman is about the best likeness I can find - anyone?)

med_gallery_3894_174_7124.jpg.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

The Romans used several different forms of writing throughout their history and as with modern writers individuals tended to have their own writing styles including sometimes making errors or using variants of shorthand.

For the purpose of this query some examples of the more general variations in writing style can be seen at this site.

To begin with i would like to say hello to everyone, this is my first time on your site. The main reason for this is that my dad has recently died and he had a fasination with the ancient roman empire, to the extent he believed to be a roman soldier in a previous life. I would like to get a small tatoo in his memory. I was thinking of just getting the word Dad, but would like it written in ancient roman writing or symbols. I have tried various places and sites and i cannot find it anywhere, can anyone here help me please, if not the word/symbol for dad then Father. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many many thanks

Wendy

Many many thanks

Wendy

Thank you all for your replies, they are much appreciated. Just one more question, what does Carissimus

mean?

Thank you

Wendy

Thank you all for your replies, they are much appreciated. Just one more question, what does Carissimus

mean?

Thank you

Wendy

Carissimus means "dearest." You could also say: "PATER CARISSIMUS ATQUE AMANTISSIMUS." ("Dearest and also Most Loved Father.")

-- Nephele

mean?

Thank you

Wendy

Carissimus means "dearest." You could also say: "PATER CARISSIMUS ATQUE AMANTISSIMUS." ("Dearest and also Most Loved Father.")

-- Nephele

Thank you all for your help and sorry for being a pain but i have been thinking about "father, forever in my heart" can anyone translate this for me.

Thank you

Wendy