UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Feminine forms

Lanista

So...Hoplomachus = Hoplomachia (in gladiatorial terms)?

If there's a list of these out there (I've looked and can't find one - but then why would there be a list of feminine forms for a largely male sport), I'd be ever so grateful for a link.

Anyhow, if anyone's feeling linguistic, can you save me from getting it wrong!

Cheers

Russ

Dash! The title of this thread wrote a cheque the content couldn't cash.

Seriously now . . . Is there a list of the masculine words you'd like the feminine forms of?

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Just for you Ghost:

http://www.russellwhitfield.com/154_Gladiatrix_2-2.jpg

sneaky peak of promo images for the new book. That one's in the raw (no, not nude), no effects or backgrounds done yet, hot off the ...digital file. UNRV saw it it first, we'll be using these and others like it as for T-shirts and all that stuff when the book comes out.

Well:

Hoplomachus

Dimachaearius

Retiarius

Murmillo

Thraex

The ones ending in "r" are easier - Secutrix and so forth, but I've always guessed at these other types *lol*

Cheers

Russ

Dash! The title of this thread wrote a cheque the content couldn't cash.

Hahahaha! Hope that sneak preview pic Russ provided will tide you over, CoG!

And, before you posted your wish list, Russ, I'd consulted my massive volume of Lewis & Short and I think I may have figured out the following feminine forms (quiet, CoG!) for you:

Andabatissa, Andabatina (female andabata, mostly based on the Agrippa/Agrippina forms

Bellatrix (female fighter)

Bestiaria (female fighter of beasts)

Bipennifera (female fighter armed with a two-edged axe)

Clavatrix (female fighter armed with a club)

Falcifera (female fighter armed with a scythe)

Funditrix (female fighter armed with a sling)

Retiaria (female fighter who uses a net)

Sagittaria (female archer)

Threissa, Thressa (female Thraex/Thrax/Threx/Thracian

Just for you Ghost:

http://www.russellwhitfield.com/154_Gladiatrix_2-2.jpg

sneaky peak of promo images for the new book. That one's in the raw (no, not nude), no effects or backgrounds done yet, hot off the ...digital file. UNRV saw it it first, we'll be using these and others like it as for T-shirts and all that stuff when the book comes out.

<SNIP>

Cheers

Russ

Hope you don't mind I had a sneak look too and although the splashes of mud and blood are all very artful - having done some re-enactment in the past - I do wonder how the gladii could have remained in such relatively pristine condition, apparantly at the end of a combat, without a single blemish in the form of cuts or metal burrs on their edges ;)

Thanks Nephele - so the list of names and now this. It's like you're writing the things for me.

Really, thanks so much, I owe you beers, don't I?

Melvadius: You were looking at the SWORDS? Dude - there's no hope for you. None at all....*lmfao*

and anyway that's what photoshop is for ;-)

So that's what Mrs OfClayton gets up to while I'm working away!

Murmillo, -onis is of one of those declensions (3rd, I think) which gives me pause. If any Latin scholars here have suggestions for feminizing that one, I'd be interested in it, myself!

-- Nephele

Nice one, Neph! Great digging there!

As for this declension...while I'm not sure of the answer either, my first guess is that it would be the same, simply because the n-stems held both masculine and feminine nouns that had no formal distinction (that I recall). In flipping through Carl Buck's books, I'm not finding much. Where I found a bit is Eric Conrad's Latin Grammar site at Ohio State, which talks about the feminine n stems that end in -io. Perhaps that's the answer: if it changes at all, it would change to murmillio, -ionis. But I'm not 100% on that.

Hoplomachia would be the fight as a hoplomachus like the naumachia being the sea battles. A female hoplomachus would be a hoplomacha because what ends on -us just becomes -a, it's not hoplomachius!

Bipennifera (female fighter armed with a two-edged axe)

Clavatrix (female fighter armed with a club)

Would leave this out in anything gladiatorial as the two edged axe and the club are not attested (gladiatorial) weapons of the Roman period

Falcifera (female fighter armed with a scythe)-

Go for the thraex with the sica, which is a similar weapon to a falx.

Funditrix (female fighter armed with a sling)

Slingers were not in a gladiatorial context only in the army!

How about:

Laquearius / Paegniarius

Samnite

Scissor

Melvadius: You were looking at the SWORDS? Dude - there's no hope for you. None at all....*lmfao*

and anyway that's what photoshop is for ;-)

After viewing the obvious features someone has to worry about the other details ;)

Thanks, Doc, for the Latin assist. And thanks, Medusa, for the additional information on gladiators.