UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Mummy Tar In Ancient Egypt

For millennia, ancient Egyptians used oil tar to preserve bodies. New geologic research shows that the tar came from several sources, shedding light on how trade routes of old compare to those of today.

New research suggests that ancient Egyptians used oil tar from Gebel Zeit in Egypt, shown here, and from the Dead Sea to preserve mummies. Image courtesy of James Harrell.

full article at Geotimes

Honestly, I am surprised at the number of articles that continue to laud the idea of Egyptian international trade as though it is a new subject. While I lived in the Middle East, including Egypt, the museums were full of objects that were detailed as having come from foreign countries. News, the root word of which is new, should bring us things that we don't know. That the oil came from many sources is news. That Egyptians traded across the region is not.

Still, what may be old 'news' to some (unfortunately the very few who are deeply interested in history, archaeology and related) is generally considered new 'news' to the media and the general public.

I can live with a bit of redundancy in the general press if it increases historical awareness.