UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Elias Graves

Were Britons Taken To Rome As Slaves?

Almost certainly, especially after conflict. A quick search reveals this wikipedia mention which you should view with some circumspection...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudia_Rufina

Agreed (apart from Caldrail's hint of reluctance to believe Wikipedia with all his heart and soul. It is, after all, the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom.)

Thanks. I assumed so but researching very specific points can be tough.

Would it be a stretch to imagine that Julius took some with him after his first incursion?

EG

Putting aside the normal roman practice of taking slaves during an initial conquest although not directly relevant to British slaves being taken to Rome there is some basic information on Roman slaves in Britain on the Museum of London website which you may find of interest as they mention both a slave from Gallia Lugdunensis in Britain and more importantly the presence of Imperial Freedmen in Britain owning slaves - some of those they owned by implication may have been British.

Imperial Freedment were slaves owned by the Emperor who had been freed and tasked with carrying out various duties for their master. In the case of those assigned to Britain it is not impossible that at some point they may have returned to Rome and taken some of their British bought slaves with them.

The Icons site has links to a couple of stories relating to Roman slaves in Britain one of whom, Regina, was definately from Britain.

N.B. I am not sure if the links work correctly but you can see an image of Regina's tombstone here on the BBC History of the World website.

Almost certainly, especially after conflict. A quick search reveals this wikipedia mention which you should view with some circumspection...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudia_Rufina

Agreed (apart from Caldrail's hint of reluctance to believe Wikipedia with all his heart and soul. It is, after all, the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom.)

I bear the scars of careless wiki-ing :D

Actually my circumspection is that there's no direct reference to british slaves in Rome. It merely illustrated the possibility

Thanks everyone. I have found some information discussing both Deasar taking hostages after both incursions. On the second incursion, there are reports of a rather large fleet of traders who followed along both as supply ships as well as those eager to cash in on hostages and return them to Rome for sale.

Apparently, feelings were mixed, as Julius did obtain hostages but little booty.

EG