UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Discovering the Secrets of Stonehenge(?)

Something which most people thought was becoming impossible has occured a totally new idea about the movement of large stones in ancient times as reported by 'Science Daily'

A revolutionary new idea on the movement of big monument stones like those at Stonehenge has been put forward by an archaeology student at the University of Exeter.

Whilst an undergraduate, Andrew Young saw a correlation between standing stone circles in Aberdeenshire, Scotland and a concentration of carved stone balls, which may have been used to help transport the big stones by functioning like ball bearings.

...continued

I suppose it is an explanation for the enigmatic carved stone balls which have long puzzled archaeologists at many Scottish sites although I do wonder how effective the grooved stone variety would be acting as 'ball bearings' in 'real' life.

I am also less than certain that such carved stone balls have been found in any concentration (if at all) at large monumental sites in the south :unsure:

I am also less than certain that such carved stone balls have been found in any concentration (if at all) at large monumental sites in the south :unsure:

I have now checked the National Museum of Scotland website regarding the incidence of carved stone balls and it states that:

Carved stone balls are distinctly Scottish objects, with over 425 known. Most have been found in Aberdeenshire.

Although they may date from approximately the same period as the arrival of the blue stones at Stonehenge and the construction of other stone circles in the Late Neolithic I am even less convinced than in my previous message that this is really a viable explanation for how large stones used in stone circles would have been moved elsewhere. :(