UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Books and Sources for an Avid Enthusiast

Lucius Domitius Amelianus

For a number of years now, I have undergone an intensive focus into learning more and more about Roman Civilization in all aspects of its nature (history, culture, economy, etc.) in order to help aid me with my future endeavor of becoming an educator of Roman History. My desire to better myself in Roman History was one of the key reasons I spent an entire academic year in Italy, literally only one year ago to be exact. Although I have read many different sources of information on Roman Civilization as a whole (Adrian Goldsworthy, Michael Grant, Frank McLynn, and others), I have actually never read any of the Classical Sources on the Roman Civilization (aside from The Gallic War and The Civil War by Julius Caesar, The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, and Dialogues and Essays by Seneca).

I would like to know if there are any specific editions of the classical sources anyone here would recommend over others? Specifically, are there any specific translations of the classical works that have been found to be the best rendition with the most clarity in writing? Any help on this matter would be whole-heartedly appreciated. Thank you, very much.

P.S. I have a list of books and sources I currently am interested in obtaining (the list itself is actually borrowed from the UNRV Website, but these are indeed some of the sources I am referring to). If there are other sources of note, or any personal recommendations anyone has that they believe would be worthwhile and enjoyable to read up on, please do add them to it!

Agricola and the Germania, Cornelius Tacitus

Historia Augusta: Life of Hadrian, Aelius Spartianus

History of Rome, Titus Livius (Livy)

History of Rome, Caius Sallustius Crispus (Sallust)

Letters, Caius Plinius Caecilius Secundus (Pliny the Younger)

Parallel Lives, Mestrius Plutarchus (Plutarch)

Roman History, Cassius Dio

The Annals, Cornelius Tacitus

The Civil Wars, Gaius Julius Caesar (et al)

The Gallic Wars, Gaius Julius Caesar

The Histories, Polybius

The Histories, Cornelius Tacitus

The Jewish War, Flavius Josephus

The Roman History, Appian of Alexandria

The Twelve Caesars, Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus

War with Jugurtha, Caius Sallustius Crispus (Sallust)

War with Cataline, Caius Sallustius Crispus (Sallust)