UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Anglo-Saxon settlement unearthed in Northumberland

The BBC is carrying an article on the discovery of an Anglo-Saxon settlement during archaeological work in advance of a new open-cast mine on the Blagdon Estate, near Cramlington.

The remains of an Anglo-Saxon settlement have been discovered at a surface mine in Northumberland.

Buildings and artefacts dating from the 6th to 8th centuries have been uncovered at Shotton Surface Mine, on the Blagdon Estate, near Cramlington.

The site had been investigated by archaeologists before the start of open-cast mining work.

Experts said the find had provided "the first direct evidence" of Anglo-Saxon settlement in that part of the county.

A team of archaeologists from TWM Archaeology, funded by Banks Mining, undertook the excavation and discovered the settlement.

....continued

N.B. Anglo-Saxon sites are notoriously difficulty to find due to mainly comprising a few post-holes and low-fired pottery which is often described as 'biscuity' in composition and which usually crumbles away before it can be analysed which makes the discovery even more important as is its rarity in that part of Northumberland.

There are also a few more details of the find, including the involvement of local county archaeologists, on the Northumberland County Council website here

Neither site gives any details of the sunken floored buildings which were found but I do wonder if they may be grubenh