UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

A singing rat

Ursus

Life is stranger than fiction, sadly.

A few years ago another Asian scientist created puppies that glow in the dark, by inserting a luminescent gene in them from some sea creature.

This is all done for "science." But in 20 years I can see companies selling singing mice and glow-in-the-dark puppies to every kid in America for Christmas. Bioengieneered lifeforms for commercial use (and eventually military use).

I'm not a Luddite, but I think this sort of thing is going to have dire consequences down the line.

Actually genetically modified glowing fish are widely available for sometime. They are even trade mark protected http://www.glofish.com/

The EU is vehemently opposed to any genetically modified food (like Monsanto seeds) so Ursus you're not alone.

I don't see what the big deal is about, our food and our pets were all created by humans after a lot of controlled selection, genetic manipulation only takes this a step further. Of course, there is potential for a lot of things to go wrong but that's science.

I miss X-Files. Life was simpler then *sigh*

It's a massively complex issue, morally. It would be OK by me if GM were used in a responsible and properly controlled manner, but (as Ursus alluded to) once the tacky individuals who see a fast buck get involved, the genuinely useful applications are quickly overshadowed. Then there's the British Press who saw an opportunity for a quick buck themselves, and whipped up public sentiment against by using the label 'Frankenstein Foods', purely, I would imagine, to sell more papers. Would that everyone could have a balanced, and informed view.

By the way, it seems an appropriate time to mention a book called "Last Human" by Doug Naylor (co-creator of 'Red Dwarf'). In it, a football team genetically engineer a goal-keeper exactly the same size and shape as a goal-mouth.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

By the way, it seems an appropriate time to mention a book called "Last Human" by Doug Naylor (co-creator of 'Red Dwarf'). In it, a football team genetically enginneer a goal-keeper exactly the same size and shape as a goal-mouth.

Yes, I believe it was the Scottish National side. Despite these efforts, they still failed to get through to round 2 of the World Cup...