UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Books for teaching yourself a new language

Celtictool

I'm interested in learning a couple of new languages (mainly German and French) for use with my degree in archaeology. I'm hoping that learning these languages will aid in my research. I've already learned Latin via Wheelock's Latin and Spanish (roughly six years in secondary school and through practical interaction). I thought that learning Latin through Wheelock was very profitable even though it's often cited as not being totally realistic for what is found "in the field". It helped me learn the various verb and word forms in a rather short amount of time. As such, I was wondering if anyone could suggest any books which could help me learn German or French at a similar pace?

Note: Suggestions for other languages (including, but not limited to, Italian and Dutch) would be greatly appreciated as well!

As usual, the BBC has something you might be interested in.

Have a look here for a number of multimedia courses that will set you off in the right direction. As you progress, it will recommend its own books, and other media to accompany the learning, usually called (for example) 'Talk! German'.

Note: Suggestions for other languages (including, but not limited to, Italian and Dutch) would be greatly appreciated as well!

What level of proficiency are you hoping for in Italian and Dutch?

Just enough to order a gelato in Firenze and a "whatever" in an Amsterdamage coffee house? :wine: Or, are you hoping for a more fluent grasp of the langauge?

I've studied and spoken Italian (probably not as well as I think) to my cousins in Italy for over 15 years, so I have a few opinions.

Learning Dutch is different for several reasons. First, there are fewer resources to learn Dutch. It is a "dying language." Second, the Dutch have little patience for your efforts to speak their language. The Dutch feel they speak English better than they really can. (This creates little incentive for visitors and immigrants to learn any language other than English.)

Let me know and I will write further on the subject.

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy