UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Fortified Bosporon/Roman war settlement found

Melvadius

An interesting article in Past Horizons about ongoing excavations at a fortified settlement in the Crimea.

The settlement, which shows a long influence of Greek culture, was heavily fortified and appears to have been nearly destroyed during the Bosporon/Roman war of 44-45 AD but then continued for another four centuries in relative peace.

Artezian lies close to the Azov Sea in the Crimean Peninsula of Southeastern Ukraine, a picturesque region of steppe grasslands, winding rivers, springs and reservoirs, abundant in fish and wild birds. Here, for over 20 years, a Russo-Crimean archaeological expedition has been excavating the fortified settlement of Artezian along with a team of international volunteers.

There has been a human presence here since Prehistoric times and the landscape as we see it now has changed very little since then, with chains of Bronze Age barrows (second and third millennium BC) aligned with dirt roads and tracks connecting the coastal regions with the more remote interior of the Kerch peninsula.By the fifth century BC, with the foundation of the Bosporan kingdom, this area became an important economic and strategic base of Imperial power, colonised by military settlers. The larger settlements occupied commanding elevations, ideal for defensible fortified towns requiring a clear line of site and communication to the other regions of the Bosporan state.Situated in the middle of this territory and covering approximately seven hectares Artezian sits high above the surrounding landscape well protected by the natural terrain.

....continued

I tried to read the article but it took me a lot of time to go past the first photo. I had no idea archeology is that hot...

I agree the archaeology there is really stunning although I am not certain that I would be happy trying to excavate in temperatures which can rise well above 80 Degrees Farenheit.

There are a few issues with the excavation technique shown in the picture, e.g. in the UK we would have to shore the sides of the trenches if we went that deep.

Mind you having read the article I can well understand the appeal of such an interesting site and it definately will be added to my list of places I would like to work given half a chance if only I can get past the language barrier B)