UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

when in rome

decimus

i'm heading to rome for a week or twain after saving up all my hard-earned pennies, and i was interested in seeing what y'all experts would recommend me seeing while i'm in the eternal city, especially anything off the beaten track.

i hope to god/s i posted this in the appropriate section of the forum, if not, save me mods.

I could recommend a lot of different things, all depending on a couple of factors. How interested are you in Roman history? Do you enjoy fine art? Have you been to Rome before? How familiar are you with Roman history and architecture?

The list really is endless, there's just so much to see and do but if it's your first time then i'd start with the big hitters first, the Forum ,Palatine hill, Pantheon, colloseum etc. Then you can expand to the lesser known sites. just make sure you get your self a really good guide book and you should be ok.

But what ever you do don't rush!!! Take your time and savour the beauty of every place you visit instead of trying to cram it all in!!

And most of all........ENJOY!!!!

Ostia without a doubt is worth a visit.

If you cannot find the time to get there then you may be able to see it from the air if you are flying into Leonardo da Vinci/ Fiumicino airport as Ostia Antica is only about 2 km to the south of the airport.